new iPhone Notes program for Windows

stewcp

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol, UK
Top marks... I'll give it a blast later, but the idea is great and well needed!

EDIT: how about a Mac version ;)

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
That's been done :), check out my thread of iPhone pc Suite under
"iPhone software"...

Mar 4, 2008
That's been done :), check out my thread of iPhone pc Suite under
"iPhone software"...
Mine's a lot simpler. It only does the notes database. But your's is good to have more!

scotto

Mar 18, 2008
Dave, I just tried out the program and it seems to have killed my phone, which is now in an infinite loop. I tried sending you a message on the link from your website (iPhone_comments@nonspiritial.com) but it bounced.

Here's what I did: I downloaded the notes database (which had only one entry), created a new entry, then uploaded the new database. I then tried to open the Notes on the iPhone. I got an empty Note with only the "+" control showing but no part of the screen was active, i.e. tapping did nothing. After a few seconds, it started this loop:

- The Home screen appears
- The "Edit Home Screen" info screen ("To rearrange icons, touch and hold any icon...") appears on top of the Home screen.
- After a couple of seconds, the "working" icon (rotating flower) appears behind the info screen for a few seconds.
- After a few seconds, the phone appears to restart and the Home screen appears again.

Ever since then it has done nothing but repeat that loop. I can dismiss the info screen and have enough time to open an app before the "working" icon appears, but then I can't do anything and the cycle restarts.

iTunes and ZiPhone don't recognize the phone. Turning off the phone with the Sleep/Wake switch doesn't work - the "off" slider appears, but the cycle starts again before I can slide it. The only way to turn off the phone is by holding the Sleep/Wake switch and the Home button together. When I turn it back on, it goes back into the cycle again as soon as it finishes booting.

I can't help but think that I have corrupted the file system. SSH is working and I can log on to the phone with PuTTY. Is there a way that I can check the integrity of the Notes files and folders? Where are they?

Thanks,
Scott

scotto

Mar 18, 2008
UPDATE:
I found the notes.db file in /private/var/root/Library/Notes. I read somewhere that you can reset Notes by deleting this file, so I moved it to a temporary folder. This didn't fix the problem.

I'm getting worried that I may have bricked my phone.

Anyone know what I can do?

Mar 4, 2008
I feel bad your phone screwed up! My program couldn't have done that, though. I doesn't run on the iPhone but on the PC. I had the problem you describe happen to me when I changed the root user password from alpine to something else. Upon the next boot it went into an endless loop where a message was displayed, you press OK, the springboard would refresh, and the message would appear again. I wasn't able to reboot, either. All I could do was restore the iPhone through iTunes. You need to do that. Hold both buttons until it goes into restore mode.

Thanks for telling me about the bad email address. I misspelled it!

scotto

Mar 18, 2008
After several hours of teeth-gnashing and hair-rending I have finally fixed the problem, which turned out to be the passwd files.

I can hear your collective "Huh?" from here.

You see, in order to use iPhoneNotes I had to install OpenSSH, which allows the Windows program to talk to the iPhone. The website I used to get OpenSSH (http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/) says to use the passwd command to change the password, which is otherwise a security hole.

Being relatively paranoid, I did so, but apparently there is a bug in the passwd command in iPhone 1.1.3 which results in the behaviour I saw.

The remedy is to restore the passwd and master.passwd files (originals are at http://pastebin.ca/904464 and http://pastebin.ca/904467)

Now all I need is a dentist and a good hair restorer...

scotto

Mar 18, 2008
Hi Dave - I didn't see your post until after I sent mine.

Sorry I assumed that your program caused the problem. Of course, I wouldn't have installed SSH if I didn't need it for iPhoneNotes, so by schoolyard logic it's all your fault...

BTW, I couldn't restore my phone because iTunes and ZiPhone didn't recognize it, so I had to use the method I described in my last post.

Mar 4, 2008
It's good to know the method to fix the rot password. You don't need to change the root password. Just turn SSH off when not needed.

I hope you have tried iPhone Notes again. I use it all the time and have gotten good responses from others. It's good because with it you can turn the iPhone into a word processor. I have some essays I'm working on. Since they're on my iPhone I can add to them anytime I think of something, then refresh on the PC. Also, whenever I'm out I can whip out my iPhone, take notes, and transfer to my PC.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
It keeps giving me error 6 - "An iPhone connection could not be established with the server, username and password given."

Username is by default roots and password alpine. I have 1.1.4. SSH is on

Any advice?

Mar 4, 2008
I recommend getting FileZilla and getting that to work. Use that to troubleshoot with. If you can login to SSH on the iPhone with FileZilla on your PC, and you pit the same user name and password into iPhone Notes, it will work.

Jun 14, 2008
Same problem with 1.1.4

After several hours of teeth-gnashing and hair-rending I have finally fixed the problem, which turned out to be the passwd files.

I can hear your collective "Huh?" from here.

You see, in order to use iPhoneNotes I had to install OpenSSH, which allows the Windows program to talk to the iPhone. The website I used to get OpenSSH (http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/) says to use the passwd command to change the password, which is otherwise a security hole.

Being relatively paranoid, I did so, but apparently there is a bug in the passwd command in iPhone 1.1.3 which results in the behaviour I saw.

The remedy is to restore the passwd and master.passwd files (originals are at http://pastebin.ca/904464 and http://pastebin.ca/904467)

Now all I need is a dentist and a good hair restorer...
I'm having the same problem with my jailbroken 1.1.4 machine. As soon as I changed the passwd, then powercycled. It's now stuck in a loop.

Two Questions before I attempt a fix:
1) Is this link to the password file the same for 1.1.4 (hate to screw it up worse)

2) I _really_ hate to have the password the default, but I guess I can live with it if I only enable SSH on a trusted network. The question is, how do you disable SSH? I don't remember a way to do that within the GUI (and of course I can't check now).

I can get in to my iPod touch via SSH, but the GUI is currently completly broken.

Thanks....

Jun 14, 2008
fixed it.

Tried using the master.passwd and passwd from the previous link and that fixed it. Also, found instructions elseware (don't have the link at the moment), on how to safely change the password without screwing up the GUI.

Regards,