New iPhone owner need advise about screen treatment and protection

jlim0930

Aug 19, 2009
Hello,

I am a new iPhone 3GS owner and had some questions about screen protection. I now owned this unit for 3-4 days and I am waiting for my screen protector to arrive in mail. I noticed today that it had few small light scratches on the screen. Is there a way to buff out the scratches before I put on the screen protector ?

or should I just put on the screen protector without treating it first ?

Also whats the best way to buff out scratches on the back side ?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Apple Sauce is the only thing I know of, but I don't know about using it on the screen.
Seriously though, 3-4 days and you are showing scratches on the screen, you might want to call Apple. That to me is unusual and indicates either putting your phone in a pocket with keys or change, or the coating is defective.
Call 800myApple and ask them -especially if you haven't done anything to possibly cause the damage.

jlim0930

Aug 19, 2009
I am pretty sure I caused the scratches.. im a bit ruff on the electronics.. i should have waited till i got the screen protector but i couldn't resist.

Any other recommendations ?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Honestly I have nothing. I would look up the coating and see if there is anything out there to use.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Can you use Brasso on the screen?

Don't know if it will do damage to the glass I have used it on the bezel to remove scratches as it is metal polish but it might work on the screen

Don't try it though without finding out if it will damage the screen first as im not sure

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

Don't know if it will do damage to the glass I have used it on the bezel to remove scratches as it is metal polish but it might work on the screen

Don't try it though without finding out if it will damage the screen first as im not sure
The problem would be a couple different things
1) polish doesn't do anything except get caught in the scratches
2) rubbing brazzo or anything to try and polish the surface smooth will most likely only cause the problem to worsen.
3) using anything "untested" on the coating could result in a "haze" forming on the screen, making viewing very difficult.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I am thinking a buffing product would not be a good idea because of the coating. Can't imagine the coating would stand up to any type of abrasive product no matter how gentle.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado

I wouldn't recommend doing that.