New iPhone owner needs some help, please. :D

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
so, i just bought my iPhone yesterday.
1. i'm pretty frustrated about the not being able to send/receive picture msgs, but i'll get over that. i'll just have to mess with my bf's crap cricket phone to see how he can still send them to me, vice versa.
2. i'm frustrated with the ringtone issue!

so, help with problem #2. i understand there are ways to make your own? which is pretty much your only bet, right?
well, can anyone tell me the best, easiest, safest way to do this? unfortunately i have a pc computer so i need something that's compatible that way.

also, any other softwares i should have on my phone? that are pretty much essential for making this thing the best it can be? ;) any suggestions would be great!
i'm trying to make the best out of this phone even though i'm not liking it too much... so someone, please help.

thanks! :cool:

Oct 29, 2007
Alabama
You make ringtones through iTunes on your pc. Once you upgrade to the latest version there is a tab on the left hand side that you click then it put a symbol beside every song that is capable of being made into a ringtone.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
so you have to buy the songs through iTunes to be able to make them into ringtones or it won't work?
i download mine elsewhere and move them to my iTunes library to put on my ipod, er, well now my iPhone.

are there any other good programs that are pc compatible that i could use?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
1. i'm pretty frustrated about the not being able to send/receive picture msgs, but i'll get over that. i'll just have to mess with my bf's crap cricket phone to see how he can still send them to me, vice versa.

so, help with problem #2. i understand there are ways to make your own? which is pretty much your only bet, right?
well, can anyone tell me the best, easiest, safest way to do this? unfortunately i have a pc computer so i need something that's compatible that way.

also, any other softwares i should have on my phone? that are pretty much essential for making this thing the best it can be? ;) any suggestions would be great!
i'm trying to make the best out of this phone even though i'm not liking it too much... so someone, please help.

You may want to check out the Modifications Forum, where there are threads about hacking iPhone's security so you can add apps and ringtones, etc. Just be warned, you will void the warranty if you modify your iPhone's software.

I'm sorry that you aren't happy with your iPhone, since there's so much to like (at least I guess you thought so when you bought it). Both of the "shortcomings" you're dissatisfied with are thoroughly addressed here and elsewhere on the Net - unfortunate that you didn't discover the MMS messaging thing prior to your purchase. This feature may be added in future firmware upgrades, but for now you'll have to stick with e-mailing photos.

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can use iPhoneringtone maker if you're not running 1.1.1. Actually, I haven't followed up with iPhoneringtone maker so I'm not sure if it's 1.1.1 compatible yet so check that out for sure. $10 for unlimited ringtones, definitely worth it. I use iBrickr on my 1.0.2 iPhone and it's free and I love it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
what exactly is jailbreaking my phone?
and if i do that, the voids my warranty, doesn't it?

Jailbreaking your phone is what you do when you open it up for modifications. You can now jailbreak either 1.0.2 firmware or 1.1.1 but be careful because messing with the firmware can really mess up the iPhone and in some cases cause it to brick (become inoperable). Technically it would void your warranty but the restore will set your iPhone back to factory settings as if you never touched it in the first place. However, if you brick your phone then it's going to be a bit more difficult to restore.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
what type of thing could 'brick' it?
what are the chances of that happening?

Well as far as I know, and I could be wrong, but the bricking problem is only an issue if you're unlocking the iPhone to use with another wireless provider like T-Mobile. If you're just jailbreaking you really can't do too much harm and can usually restore using iTunes. If you're somewhat familiar with computers and files and such then you shouldn't worry much about bricking UNLESS you're unlocking or upgrading an UNLOCKED phone.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007

download ibrickr. this program allows u to add custom ringtones, text tones and other alert tones and also applications such as games and voice recording. u will however have to down grade your phone to version 1.0.2, which actually seems to run more smoothly than 1.1.1. i brickr will do that 4 u so no worries there. Apple says that modding your phone will void the warranty. however i had modded my phone, then it got wet 1 day and the touch screen stopped working. i restored my phone and sent it in to Apple. my warranty wasn't void and i got a brand new phone.
-good luck
let me no how things work out

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
download ibrickr. this program allows u to add custom ringtones, text tones and other alert tones and also applications such as games and voice recording. u will however have to down grade your phone to version 1.0.2, which actually seems to run more smoothly than 1.1.1. i brickr will do that 4 u so no worries there. Apple says that modding your phone will void the warranty. however i had modded my phone, then it got wet 1 day and the touch screen stopped working. i restored my phone and sent it in to Apple. my warranty wasn't void and i got a brand new phone.
-good luck
let me no how things work out
if i install ibrickr and it downgrades my phone... does the restore still restore it back to 1.1.1? and everything back to normal?

if yes, where can i get it? it's compatible with windows, right?
thanks a lot!

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
the only thing i really care about is i want to be able to make custom ringtones for my phone and maybe get some different alert tones without having to buy anything from iTunes.

other than that, as far as modding goes, i really don't care.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
if i install ibrickr and it downgrades my phone... does the restore still restore it back to 1.1.1? and everything back to normal?

if yes, where can i get it? it's compatible with windows, right?
thanks a lot!
if u restore your phone it will automatically upgrade it to the newest version available. ibrickr is windows compatible, i use windows. here is the link for ibrickr http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr. through ibrickr u can add ringtones without jailbreaking or modding your phone. however, if u don't jailbreak your phone and add ringtones, the ringtones will b deleted every time u sync with iTunes, but u can add ringtones again after u sync.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
the only thing i really care about is i want to be able to make custom ringtones for my phone and maybe get some different alert tones without having to buy anything from iTunes.

other than that, as far as modding goes, i really don't care.
Your best bet is iPhoneringtonemaker. I use it and love it! Go to www.efksoft.com and try the trial version. Don't know if the trial works with iPhone v.1.1.1, but it's a fairly inexpensive program to buy. Put as many custom ringtones as you want on your iPhone. You don't have to mod or 'jailbreak' your phone, either.