New iPhone release for next Tuesday....

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Take this with a grain of salt, which you should any rumor, but talking with a Apple service company, the iPhone is being pushed to be released on tuesday. (a week from today) He said that the 3rd party developers all ready have the phone, and Apple is pushing to release it earlier because stock is dwindling at the stores. Now, he also said that this is going to be based on how many old phones the Apple store still has in stock, but there is a "big push" in Apple to get the new phones out there. I hope this is true, and I trust the source, but who knows, I could be wrong...I have been in the past. But, its still exciting news, and I hope its true.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Sounds like they under estimated the demand for the iPhone and manufactured only as many phones as would be needed by the time of the new release in June. Not exactly a bad sign for Apple, but it does look bad. I'm not sure I want a phone that has been rushed to market, though. I'll let you guys do the beta testing.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Apple techs and employees (especially the retail ones) aren't exactly the best sources for information regarding the iPhone release. More often than not we on the forum know more about it than they do.

However, next week would be awesome.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Ya....I had a AT&T store person tell me that the new iP2 will have the option to turn into a remote...like something you can use on your TV...no kidding. It was one of those time you wished you had a recording...because no one will believe you.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
This has to be the case. I can't see them going much longer like this. I kinda expected it to be announced this week. If Apple expects to sell 10's of millions each year and more in the years to come then having a long gap when they aren't selling any is a lot of lost sales. As a small comparison, sometime last year Apple was selling about 50K iPods each day. That would be a lot of lost sales of iPhones if it should be as successful. If Apple waits much longer I hope they are making the right decision.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
they don't want to sell 10's of millions of iPhones a year (well im sure they would but right now thats impossible) they want to sell 10 million by the end of this year.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Ya....I had a AT&T store person tell me that the new iP2 will have the option to turn into a remote...like something you can use on your TV...no kidding. It was one of those time you wished you had a recording...because no one will believe you.
Funny, because my last 4 smart phones all had infrared ports and could be used as TV remotes with just software. Will iPhone get this too, years after Palm and Windows Mobile and try to act like they invented it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Funny, because my last 4 smart phones all had infrared ports and could be used as TV remotes with just software. Will iPhone get this too, years after Palm and Windows Mobile and try to act like they invented it?
What phones? I had a WM phone, but could never find controller software. The reason given every time: the IR lamp wasn't strong enough on WM phones. Just curious if they ever got that sorted.

I have dreams of universal remote software for the iPhone, though I realize it will require a bluetooth or wifi IR beamer unit, but that certainly seems doable to me.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
they don't want to sell 10's of millions of iPhones a year (well im sure they would but right now thats impossible) they want to sell 10 million by the end of this year.
My bad. I assumed they would want to sell more next year and 10 million this year if they could. Oops.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
What phones? I had a WM phone, but could never find controller software. The reason given every time: the IR lamp wasn't strong enough on WM phones. Just curious if they ever got that sorted.
Well I had Nokia 3230, nokia 6600, 5 years ago.. in India. and Had some software in it.. don't remember the name.. by which i was able to use my phone as a remote control of all the major TVs.... and thats right I SAID 5 FREAKING YEARS AGO.... so this thingy is not at all NEW..:p

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
nokia 6600.... wow. that's old.

that's worse than the 3650, it is, its got Symbian 6.3 I think...

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Vito remote has been out for years. I used that on my old Pocketpc (pre-WM) devices and it works on the Windows Mobile devices to include my Sprint phones. I found that you had to be within about 15-20 feet of the TV, VCR, etc.. in order for it to work very well but in most cases that was far enough away for me.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008

I have dreams of universal remote software for the iPhone, though I realize it will require a bluetooth or wifi IR beamer unit, but that certainly seems doable to me.
For Windows Mobile I had one of the Treos (700? 650?) Can't remember which, and I had a PPC6600 and 6800. (I think those are right.)

BTW, since I'm selling my 6800, I guess I have a licensed version of the software I don't need. I'm not sure if it's transferable, though.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008

I had an AT&T guy tell me that the IP2 was going to be able to remotely turn the lights on at my house, walk my dog, and bring me my beer.....ALL AT THE SAME TIME. No!...Seriously! :eek:

And Damn that HSBC Direct Ad!

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Apple techs and employees (especially the retail ones) aren't exactly the best sources for information regarding the iPhone release. More often than not we on the forum know more about it than they do.

However, next week would be awesome.
I think I was misunderstood. It wasn't an Apple tech nor employee. He owns a company that is an Apple service shop, and has ties to some Apple insiders. Its the biggest one on the west coast I am told. Like I said though, I take all these things with a grain of salt. But, I hope its true

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I call BS on the dog-walking part.
I agree. I put my phone down next to my dog and nothing happened. Well, that isn't true. My dog picked up the phone and took it out back and buried it. I suppose that could be considered walking the dog since they went out together. ;)