New iPhone Stand

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I really want to purchase this stand, but I am hesistant now, after reading to ilounge's review on it. Particularly, this section:

"...Thought Out didn’t fully think through its bottom-of-iphone mounting solution, because the rubber-coated metal grips of the iPhone holder we tested almost completely cover both that bottom speaker and the microphone. You can still get audio in and out of them, but it’s muted relative to the normal, unimpeded performance you get when hand-holding the iPhone or docking it in Apple’s Dock. Callers reported that our voices sounded muffled and distant when we called with Ped3 on the iPhone, and audio output from the speaker was cut roughly in half. Flipping the iPhone around inside the mount is unwise: this just puts continuous pressure on the Sleep/Wake button and covers the headphone port, instead. Surely, there’s a smarter way to hold the iPhone than this."

Of course, that's just one reviewer's opinion. If anyone has purchased this stand, please let us know if your thoughts.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I really want to purchase this stand, but I am hesistant now, after reading to ilounge's review on it. Particularly, this section:

"...Thought Out didn’t fully think through its bottom-of-iphone mounting solution, because the rubber-coated metal grips of the iPhone holder we tested almost completely cover both that bottom speaker and the microphone. You can still get audio in and out of them, but it’s muted relative to the normal, unimpeded performance you get when hand-holding the iPhone or docking it in Apple’s Dock. Callers reported that our voices sounded muffled and distant when we called with Ped3 on the iPhone, and audio output from the speaker was cut roughly in half. Flipping the iPhone around inside the mount is unwise: this just puts continuous pressure on the Sleep/Wake button and covers the headphone port, instead. Surely, there’s a smarter way to hold the iPhone than this."

Of course, that's just one reviewer's opinion. If anyone has purchased this stand, please let us know if your thoughts.
After reading this, I went back to look at this stand and I can clearly see how this stand could be a problem. You can see that both the speaker and mic are covered by the rubber grips.

Maybe the designers never thought about that part of the stand being a problem.

Jan 23, 2008
After reading this, I went back to look at this stand and I can clearly see how this stand could be a problem. You can see that both the speaker and mic are covered by the rubber grips.

Maybe the designers never thought about that part of the stand being a problem.
It is not a problem to the degree the reviewer states. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

If one notices this issue:

Depending on the placement of the iPhone, the mating area with vinyl protector might clog the most important few holes of the many holes the iPhone speaker has. Please feel confident that a very light bend down or twist out of that one tab will allow the audio to flow efficiently. It will not take much and it will be unnoticed to the eye. Sometimes even sliding the the vinyl protector off and flipping them or swapping them with one of the other six will even correct this, in fact try that first!

(Note: Configuration bending of these tabs is perfectly acceptable to fit your case or skin to the PED3 Stand. These are HIGH QUALITY metal stands, not plastic)

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I have a PED-3.

Yeah, it will block the speaker and mic but you can adjust the prongs so that the phone is slightly forward in the cradle.

Also because it is rotatable, the connection point for the holder to the stand is done via a rubber grommeted hole. This make the top piece a but too loose for me.

Finally, they placed their raisded logo sticker right in the center of the holder so the phone would not sit flat...I had to remove it.

$40 is a bit expensive (its more like a $20 item) and it should have come with an additional black cable.