New iPhone To Have Smaller Dock Connector

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, Jun 21, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If this is true, what's your take on this move. I for one don't mind as long as we have a usable, low-cost adapter. No more then $20. If they were feeling generous, they'd include it in the box, but that's crazy talk.

Syncing for me is painfully slow with the existing dock connector. I'm all for the move if it means faster syncs.

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

What's your reasoning as to why? Not happy with having to use an adapter? Concerned that some accessories won't work with a new adapter?

4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I just want a universal cord, I don't want to mess around with adapters and trying to find the right micro connector cord. I just wanna plug and go. And we would have to buy a new car charger, lol. And if Apple makes us pay for all of these adapters, I won't be happy. It should come with at least 2.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Bitter sweet for me. It would allow more room for a better phone but most of my accessories would be useless unless they include free adapters.

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Most adapters have a USB connector on one side. For the car just use a USB plug, like I have for all my phones.

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Although, I hope the universal adapter is released with the iPhone, as I can't live without my Bose SoundDock.

8. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

i don't mind the smaller dock connector...............but I HOPE THEY DON'T PUT THE HEADPHONE JACK on the BOTTOM....

makes no sense.............so when it is docked you can't listen to music or if it is in holster or pouch how can you have headphone jack in when it is on the BOTTOM....

9. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

I'm not for it,
    I'm always forgetting my charger, but it's great because so Many people have an iPhone and no matter what kind of iPhone they have,it does not matter because they all charge through the same cable!.

And at work, doing a long night shift of setup, a few of us take turns of putting our tunes on dock, but oh wait I minute I have an iPhone 5 and this is not doable due to connector, or if I do I have to go to the trouble of an adapter.
    No thanks

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I have about $500 in dock accessories, and I'm still in favor of the change. I just wish they did it years ago, because it's well overdue.

The current 30-pin connector is way too large and fragile. Easily the most damage-prone design element other than the glass. Almost half the pins are unused or could be streamlined. Lots of people are begging for a standard mini- or micro-USB, but that would only handle data and charging, not any of the other things the dock connector can do.

If they were smart, they'd ease the transition by including a super-svelte (and I mean as tiny as they can possibly make it) adapter free of charge, and sell you more for $9.99 or less. Even with an adapter, though, I think I'm destined for 2 new car docks. I wonder what the resale is like on these Kensington AssistOnes.

Kensington-AssistOne-Handsfree-Car-Device-with-Voice-Activation1.jpg

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm with Dave.
    Always felt it was the weakest part of the iPhone design.
    While I've never had an issue, just could not stand the perceived fragility of the 30 pin.
    Would be stoked if the new connector incorporated mag tech.
    Also think it should not be polarized. Dunno how much time I've fumbled around in the dark trying to make sure 30 pin is facing the right direction.....

12. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

micro-usb the standard these days for just about all smart phones not too mention the accessories like bluetooth, external speakers etc... which most of thoes also use micro-usb. it only makes sense to go to a micro-usb port then you would only need 1 charge for everything. right now you need 1 iPhone charger and 1 usb-charger in the car 1 for the phone and 1 for the blue tooth device.

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I just say to bad they don't do wireless charging
    I back up in the cloud and have not sync my iPhone since the 4s came out with my computer.

14. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Why cant they leave the 30PIN and put the new one on the side? :)

Please everyone.

15. Mike_73

Mike_73 New Member

I'd rather stay with the old connector. I don't sync too often, but I have 3 iGadgets already. Next month my little one will get an iPod touch which supposedly has the old connector, so in case I'd like the iPhone 5 and it would have a different connector, I would always be having the cord in the wrong place (forgotten on my office desk, lying on my home desk while I need it in the living room...). Yes I knw, I could just get a second cord, but I'd like to use one I already have.