'New' iPhone USB connectors & old chargers.

MacArt

Jan 6, 2009
I have recently bought an iPod Classic and I noticed with it that a much thinner (at the end which plugs into the iPod) USB cable came with it than previous models. (The base width is the same, but the length of the 'non-wire' portion is now half the length).

The Classics do not come with any mains plug's in them anymore (just a USB cable) and I have found myself using the mains charger from my old iPod with this new iPod. It appears to be charging perfectly well, but I just wanted to check that this will not cause any damage or the such (e.g. by different voltages used in the Classics, different components in the plug, different base connector).

Much thanks,
MacArt

Sorry if the description is rather vague, it is hard to put into words.

The reason that this is in the iPhone forum is that I am also charging my iPhone with this old iPod charger...is this safe as well? Sorry for the 'mis-matched' listing in the forum.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As far as my understanding of the matter goes, you should have no problem with using the differing USB cables to charge your Classic and iPhone. I use the same USB to charge my v1 iPhone, 3G iPhone as well as my Classic.

MacArt

Jan 6, 2009
As far as my understanding of the matter goes, you should have no problem with using the differing USB cables to charge your Classic and iPhone. I use the same USB to charge my v1 iPhone, 3G iPhone as well as my Classic.
That's great - thanks a lot for the information.

Yes - no difference, only the dock station won't fit.
Thanks for the reply & the help. The only question is what exactly do you mean "the dock station"? -and why is this? Thanks.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
only thing is some say that it is not compatible and should be put in airplane mode... no big deal still works fine just ignore the popup