New iPhone user.. issues with headset jack

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
So I just bought myself the iPhone yesterday from the Apple store. I get it home and obviously excited about it. So I download my music to the phone and then take it to my car where I use the monster or Apple cable that goes from my aux in my car to the iPhone headset jack or my 30gig Ipod video headset jack.

And the iPhone even though the cable is connected is still playing through the iPhone's speakers and not through the car speakers.

I try my sony earbuds, and no dice. I try the monster cable, sony earbuds in my 80gb ipod and they all work... iPhone no work... ggrrrrr...

Has anyone else experienced this with there iPhones ?

:mad::confused:

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
Ok so I think I found the issue, Apples headset (earbuds) has 3 little nitches in it's jack opposed to the 2 my sony and the Apple adapter I bought from the Apple store (Gay) has. So the iPhone has a recessed jack, blah blah blah.... I need a friggin adapter.... accessories.... no wonder Apples stock is over $160.... :eek::sick:

If I am wrong about all of this please let me know... like I said I'm a retarded newbie..... hopefully not for long.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i'm sure you've noticed that the headphone jack on the iPhone is recessed - most headphones and other cables that worked on previous ipods don't make contact on the iPhone because of how recessed it is. are you sure your sony headphones and the aux cable to your head unit actually fit in your iPhone's headphone jack fully?

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
i'm sure you've noticed that the headphone jack on the iPhone is recessed - most headphones and other cables that worked on previous ipods don't make contact on the iPhone because of how recessed it is. are you sure your sony headphones and the aux cable to your head unit actually fit in your iPhone's headphone jack fully?
Yeah your right, they don't fit completely... I did realize the whole 'recessed' thing... kinda stinks. I need to go buy the belkin adapter they have on there site. I'm sure the Apple store will have it in stock tmrw.

It sure would have been nice if the salesperson or the person I bought it from would have made mention of this... a lot of shananegians.... Thanks for the reply MACGIRL.... it made verified what I was thinking originally.. :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah your right, they don't fit completely... I did realize the whole 'recessed' thing... kinda stinks. I need to go buy the belkin adapter they have on there site. I'm sure the Apple store will have it in stock tmrw.

It sure would have been nice if the salesperson or the person I bought it from would have made mention of this... a lot of shananegians.... Thanks for the reply MACGIRL.... it made verified what I was thinking originally.. :)
If you want to save a buck and don't mind permanently marring your cable... depending on its construction... you can cut away the last 1/8" of soft plastic housing around the plug (I go around it with a razor box cutter, the ply it off with the wire-stripper part of a pair of pliers). For most cables, this will expose enough of the plug to make contact. Good luck.

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
If you want to save a buck and don't mind permanently marring your cable... depending on its construction... you can cut away the last 1/8" of soft plastic housing around the plug (I go around it with a razor box cutter, the ply it off with the wire-stripper part of a pair of pliers). For most cables, this will expose enough of the plug to make contact. Good luck.

That isn't too bad an idea. I actually have an extra old earbud I will try this on and see if it works, thanks for the tip.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No problem. I'm an audio engineer with a LOT of these cables around... and I've cut them all up! One on each stereo in the house... they still work fine... for other devices too. No harm other than the look.

Of course, I also got a cheapie adapter off ebay for $8 shipped so I don't have to destroy my nice headphones.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Pewterss, you've now figured out that the members on here are very helpful - but - it tends to get a little nasty when questions are asked over and over, ad nauseum. This has been a well documented and widely complained about issue since before the iPhone hit the shelves.

Get to cutting up those headphone jacks as suggested. It works. I've cut up everything from adapter cords to $300+ Ultimate Ears. Next time you encounter an obvious issue, try the forum's search function. I've been on here for a while, and I still use it often.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com

you're welcome. i would not recommend buying the belkin adapter, though. i have one and i've found that it drastically affects sound quality - music sounds muted/damped through it compared to connecting headphones without it (tested using etymotic er6i's on my ipod video). i bought one a couple of weeks after i bought my iPhone, tried it out and realized it was a piece of crap, and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since. if you really want one though, i'd be happy to sell you mine super cheap! :D

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I recommend the Shure MPA. It has a mic/switch built in, so it may be a bit overkill if you don't need the extra functionality. There are a few different brands available besides the Belkin, though I've heard good reports about that one, too.

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
you're welcome. i would not recommend buying the belkin adapter, though. i have one and i've found that it drastically affects sound quality - music sounds muted/damped through it compared to connecting headphones without it (tested using etymotic er6i's on my ipod video). i bought one a couple of weeks after i bought my iPhone, tried it out and realized it was a piece of crap, and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since. if you really want one though, i'd be happy to sell you mine super cheap! :D
Sup Macgirl,

So I went to the Apple store today without checking the rum stupid me and I ended up buying the belkin adapter. So far so good ut I c uld use an extra adpter for my apt. I need oe in the car and one in the house. o if you still wanna sell m your adapter let me know..ay be interested. :)
Thanks again.

John

pewterss

Nov 24, 2007
Pewterss, you've now figured out that the members on here are very helpful - but - it tends to get a little nasty when questions are asked over and over, ad nauseum. This has been a well documented and widely complained about issue since before the iPhone hit the shelves.

Get to cutting up those headphone jacks as suggested. It works. I've cut up everything from adapter cords to $300+ Ultimate Ears. Next time you encounter an obvious issue, try the forum's search function. I've been on here for a while, and I still use it often.
Yeah I know, after I posted my question I realized this and did some searching and found my answer but not before Macgirl came in and helped out as well as a few others. Don't shoot :mad:.... j/k, thanks for the headsup.

John

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Sup Macgirl,

So I went to the Apple store today without checking the rum stupid me and I ended up buying the belkin adapter. So far so good ut I c uld use an extra adpter for my apt. I need oe in the car and one in the house. o if you still wanna sell m your adapter let me know..ay be interested. :)
Thanks again.

John
you know what? i'm in a christmas mood. you can have it for free - just pm me with where you want me to send it. :)