New iPhone User

inked005

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Hello all I am a new iPhone user as of last night, I was just trying to setup the custom ringtones, I have 1.1.2 I read all the ringtone posts. I been following the one about converting the m4 files to m4r's the problem I am having is pretty simple im sure. Number 1. Where is this ringtone folder on the computer everyone is talking about, number 2 The selected ringtone box is greyed out so I cant do anything there. I also go and try to rename the extension to m4r on my converted song and it doesn't let me do that. Ive tried to type it both in the name and it does nothing and the extension field just says mp4 after I convert it to aac...if someone could help me out im a n00b to this lol probably just something im not understanding for some dumb reason. Thanks very much,

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Hi welcome to EIC,

Lots of different ways to doing things as always... Here's how I do it on a mac using MakeiPhoneRingtone.

I make my ringtone - then open it with iTunes - this will add it to the iTunes library alongside all my music.

Find the ringtone under Library - Music, in list view. Right click on the tone and choose "Convert selection to AAC"

That will convert and then play probably too. It appears in the library alongside the unconverted version.

right click on that and choose "Show in Finder" - if you're on a PC apologies, no idea what it says, but there's probably something similar. That will take you to a window and in there you'll see ringtonename.m4a ?

drag that file to MakeiPhoneRingtone. - ringtone appears in the Ringtone section of iTunes.

Then tidy up your library - and delete all the files you don't want

Hope that helps

fingers crossed you're on a mac!

inked005

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
thanks for your help I figured itout I had to turn on view file extensions LOL I figured it was something dumb thanks again

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
There is also a way to make your ringtone within iTunes (cut it to size) ...

1. open iTunes and find the song you would like to make your ringtone

2. right click it and hit convert selection to aac

3. the new song file will appear right underneath the one you just clicked (give it a few seconds)

4. right click the new file and go to "get info" ... then click the options tab

5. in that tab then set the start and stop times for the song (up to 30 seconds in length) make sure the boxes are checked next to it

6. in your library , click on that file again .. and convert it to aac again

7. now the new 30 second file will appear beneath that one

8. last step is to right click once more , then click "show in explorer" , once it takes you to the location , then change the file extension to m4r

p.s. i hope you have windows ... because i just realized that i assumed you were on a pc haha ...

I pretty much repeated the other steps that meiPhones_brill just said