New iPod touch in the works?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Good news if you are wondering what's happened to the iPod touch. Apple is apparently working a new iPod touch and I for one, cannot wait. What are your thoughts? Are you holding off on buying the current model. If you own an iPhone, will you still be an iPod touch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I went off task and started reading about the new MacBooks and their "glass" track-pads:laugh2:
-I cant wait, cause supposedly they're gonna be released around september which is my birthday month! Although my parents will not give me the money for a MacBook altogether the "little" money they usually give me should help some what like 5% of the total cost :(

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You can do it pds!
I'm going to be in the same boat. This iPhone businesss is straining my income immensely.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I wonder what they'll do to trump the original iPod Touch without branching it off as another division of their mobile device lineup or competing with the iPhone. Of course, they're no longer getting a monthly kickback from new iPhones, so supposedly they won't need to avoid cannibalizing any of their existing products. Are they still getting the monthly kickback from the original iPhone sales?

What could they add to the iPod Touch that would warrant such a bump in the product identifier?

They could possibly make it compete with gaming devices like DS and PSP by giving it good external speakers, for example (stereo), or by making it truly an iphone-without-the-phone by keeping everything but the cell radio. Voila, then the iPod touch eclipses the handheld gaming market AND the standalone PDA market at the same time. I think if they get the price of the entry level model down to $200 or $300 it will do just fine.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I wouldn't think so. Refurbs typically drop in price like that all the time. The 8 gig Touch new is only $299, Apple's handheld device refurbs are typically, as far as i know, half the new price plus $50 (refurb 8 gig 1st gen iPhone being $249, 16 gig being $299...)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What would be in a new touch anyway? A camera?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
That's what I was wondering. My best guess is just that they add some stereo speakers to it and make it compete with other portable gaming systems. That would also distinguish it more than just being an "iPhone without the phone". Perhaps more storage and battery, as well. That might give people a reason to get one even if they have an iPhone.

Imagine the iPod touch innards, but with a battery filling up the rest of the thickness up to the iPhone's thickness - 24 hours of movie watching/game playing, anyone?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It kind of already is.

I don't see them changing fundamental things or branching out to something like that this early in the mobile platform's life. They'd have a lot of unhappy developers that previously only had to write one app for both the iPhone and iPod Touch, that would then have to account for more than two resolutions, or two wildly different sets of capabilities, etc...

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
Well no surprise here as a new phone if usually followed by a new i pod touch with improvements to the product. I would expect it some time in November just in time for the Christmas season. I would also expect a larger capacity i pod touch to come out.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I would like faster internet browsing and flash support would be nice.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Bluetooth speaker support?

As for browsing speed... that's a processor bottleneck. First of all it's a low-power-consumption processor to begin with, and then it's slowed down even more to further decrease power consumption. That's why the iPod touch has a 5 hour battery life instead of a 2 hour battery life. A faster processor with otherwise current iPod touch technology would cause the battery life to go down the crapper. They'd either need a dramatically improved processor, or a fatter battery. Rumor has it an Atom might be coming to the next iPod touch, but I don't know what the comparisons are between the current processor, as far as speed and power usage go.

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
What are the chances of it having an FM tuner? even the crappiest mp3's have this.