New iTunes won't install

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I updated iTunes to 9.0 today but every time I try to start it, I get some random Windows error then it says iTunes was not installed properly and that I need to reinstall it. Ive done that about 5 times. I've restarted my computer, completely uninstalled the program, then re-downloaded. I need help!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I updated iTunes to 9.0 today but every time I try to start it, I get some random Windows error then it says iTunes was not installed properly and that I need to reinstall it. Ive done that about 5 times. I've restarted my computer, completely uninstalled the program, then re-downloaded. I need help!
You need to uninstall Bonjour service as well as Apple Mobile Device. These are programs that are installed automatically when you update or install iTunes but removing iTunes will not remove them. You have to do it manually within Add/Remove Programs.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I tried that and it still didn't help. But I think I found the cause....my computer is completely useless now because I got a virus. When I turn it on and let everything start up, I can't click on anything at all and then the mouse stops working. Never downloading free music again…

By the way I think it said error 7 but I'm not sure.

Sep 8, 2009
Fort Myers, FL
You need to uninstall Bonjour service as well as Apple Mobile Device. These are programs that are installed automatically when you update or install iTunes but removing iTunes will not remove them. You have to do it manually within Add/Remove Programs.
I am having the same problem and just uninstalled both those items so I am trying to download the update again. Lets hope it works! Thanks for the input.

Sep 8, 2009
Fort Myers, FL
Nope didn't work... damn.. the error is saying.. Errors occurred while installing updates. If the problem persists, choose Tools > Download Only and try installing manually.
I am trying that.. but if this fails what else could be the problem?

Sep 29, 2009
I'm having the same problem!

I tried to upgrade to iTunes 9 this weekend but the package came up with the following error message:

There is a problem with this windows installer package.
A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

I have found various post online stating to remove all Apple/Quicktime/iTunes related products,find and delete any temporary files and clean the registry (which I did using CCleaner), I have also tried removing installations using Windows Install Clean Up. I have also used Cleanup! to try to remove any excess files and have manually searched the Program Files folders and user folders for any related folders.

I have then downloaded a fresh package from either iTunes website or Filehippo.com and attempted to install.

Having tried all of the above I still come into the above which appears during the iTunes install. The package will continue to install Qicktime and all the related programmes in the package which have to be removed again (even though they were never wanted in the first place!)

I really can't find an answer to my problem and need help! I don't want to start using something like MediaMonkey!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the only other thing i might suggest is disabling all of the startup items via msconfig (including security software). It's very possible something is conflicting with the installation process.

tonyt3524

Bronze
Jun 18, 2009
i have had this issue with 8.2 and 9. I have called Apple, Sony, and anyone that would listen and still cant find the solution. It sucks cause i have to go to my desktop to sync it for anything. And that computer is slow as balls.

tonyt3524

Bronze
Jun 18, 2009
if anyone finds a solution to this problem, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I have a Sony VGN-FW370J on Windows Vista.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
My daughter has iTunes on her laptop running Vista. In order to update her iPod touch she was forced to update to the latest iTunes. She and I have both tried but continue to get an error message during each attempt to install: The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
It wants to find the iTunes.msi file but can't. Ive re-downloaded the iTunes installer and tried again in case it was a corrupt download but it didn't matter. Ive even used the Apple software update to download and install and I get the same message. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Hm...maybe shut down antivirus and firewalls before downloading and install? Maybe one of those is stripping the needed file from the dl. Strange.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
when you go to uninstall iTunes from the control panel, does it give you an option to "repair"?

and before installing this new version, have you tried to uninstall everything completely?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
disabled all antivirus, firewalls, etc. When I try to uninstall the old iTunes, I get the exact same error msg. I even found an iTunes.msi file like it wanted, but I get the same msg, that it's on a network resource that is unavailable. I hate windows. Any other suggestions?

55gibby

Jan 8, 2011
Hi! I'm having the exact same issue and wondering if anyone knows how to fix it? I can't get the newest software on my iPhone 4 without first updating the version of iTunes on the computer....

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
But after installing it several times and going to Apple.com and clicking repair not remove it comes up with these errors when I want to open iTunes

"The procedure entry point
AVCFAssetCreateWithByteStreamAndOptions could not be located in the dynamic link library AVfoundationCF .dll"

And another error pops up after I click out of the first error

"iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes.
Error 7 (Windows error 127)"

Any idea on how to fix this, I just wanted to install iOS 5 today and I know I need the latest iTunes to do that.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
during the iTunes installation, everything runs smoothly, and at the end it says that iTunes was installed successfuly...I then reboot my PC, and when i try to open iTunes, that's when the message appears...

I'm completely stumped...

I'm updating the iTunes on my Laptop as I type, just to see if I can do it there....the problem is I don't use my laptop to sync my phone, I don't have any music, or videos, or anything saved here, so even though I update iTunes on it, I won't be able to update my iPhone to io5....