New, just a few questions

Mar 22, 2008
I'm new here. I hate making my first post a new topic, but I've done quite a bit of searching, and have a few questions for you guys.

I'm going to be getting an iPhone in a month or so, and will be using ZiPhone to do the whole shebang (activate, unlock, and jailbreak). I plan on switching my T-Mobile account to think I have a Sidekick and adding the unlimited data for $20.

My questions are:

1.) When I get my iPhone, do I need to downgrade it to 1.1.1 before using ZiPhone, or will it do it's magic if the phone is in 1.1.3 or 1.1.4?

2.) I know that you have to change some address somewhere to internet2.voicestream.com or wap.voicestream.com. I wasn't sure where to change this. (Like I said, I'm new. I searched, but couldn't find anything.)

3.) Does anyone know if the Sidekick unlimited plan includes unlimited text? I heard a rumor on that, and couldn't find out on the T-Mobile site.

4.) I have read mixed messages on this, but is it safe to use iTunes to upgrade to 1.1.4 after it's jailbroken, unlocked, and activated or will it brick it?

I would appreciate any help. P.S. Any good, must-have apps for the phone?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
1. IT should work just fine with any firmware version.

2. IDK

3. IDK

4. You don't want to upgrade the firmware after unlocking.

You would get more replies to your post on the ipHone modifications forum.

Good luck!

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
1.) When I get my iPhone, do I need to downgrade it to 1.1.1 before using ZiPhone, or will it do it's magic if the phone is in 1.1.3 or 1.1.4?
ZiPhone will do what it does. Pug your iPhone up and just run ZiPhone.

2.) I know that you have to change some address somewhere to internet2.voicestream.com or wap.voicestream.com. I wasn't sure where to change this. (Like I said, I'm new. I searched, but couldn't find anything.)
I'm not aware of this, so it's probably false. :p

3.) Does anyone know if the Sidekick unlimited plan includes unlimited text? I heard a rumor on that, and couldn't find out on the T-Mobile site.
Well most Unlimited Plans include unlimited text, calling, and mms (picture texting/video texting) . Not sure about EDGE capabilities though.

4.) I have read mixed messages on this, but is it safe to use iTunes to upgrade to 1.1.4 after it's jailbroken, unlocked, and activated or will it brick it?
iTunes won't brick your iPhone. It'd be illegal for Apple to do that.

Mar 22, 2008
Anyone have any good recommendations for apps that they like and think I might enjoy?

You would get more replies to your post on the ipHone modifications forum.

Good luck!
Thanks! :)
ZiPhone will do what it does. Pug your iPhone up and just run ZiPhone. I'm not aware of this, so it's probably false. :p Well most Unlimited Plans include unlimited text, calling, and mms (picture texting/video texting) . Not sure about EDGE capabilities though. iTunes won't brick your iPhone. It'd be illegal for Apple to do that.
Sweet. thanks for your answers! :)

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
You can click that Thanks! button under my posts. :D

Mar 22, 2008
One more thing, I was reading THIS THREAD and I was wondering what the OP means when he says:

...and upload it to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ over the orginal file,AND PUT PERMISSION TO 0755, reboot!
What does the OP mean by "put permission to 0755? I'm guessing that something in terminal maybe?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
One more thing, I was reading THIS THREAD and I was wondering what the OP means when he says:

What does the OP mean by "put permission to 0755? I'm guessing that something in terminal maybe?
[/color]
Like I said earlier, questions like these are answered much quicker on the iPhones Modifications forum.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Blah blah blah. Just help the guy out.

When you're in a FTP client, WinSCP, Cyberduck etc, you should be able to right click and choose "Properties" or "Get Info..." and change the permissions there.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

When you're in a FTP client, WinSCP, Cyberduck etc, you should be able to right click and choose "Properties" or "Get Info..." and change the permissions there.
I try to help them find their answers as quickly as possible. These questions would be answered quicker in the appropriate forum. But thanks for your advice.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
If I was a moderator I would have had a mini speech followed by tea and crumpets. As I was saying though, the guy's going to look here for an answer rather than searching trying to find it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If I was a moderator I would have had a mini speech followed by tea and crumpets. As I was saying though, the guy's going to look here for an answer rather than searching trying to find it.
You don't have to make personal attacks at me though. IF someone knows WHERE to ask the questions, they get them answered much quicker.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
You don't have to make personal attacks at me though. IF someone knows WHERE to ask the questions, they get them answered much quicker.
It wasn't a personal attack. :p I was just saying it'd be easier to just help him out.

Also, I ONLY click the New Posts button and answer questions via that way.

Mar 22, 2008

Thanks for your help. :) I'm a major believer in searching before asking, but couldn't find anything on it. I was probably just not using the best wording for my search. Thanks again for your help. :)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's very common for people to ask questions about unlocking or jailbreaking on this forum, but the majority of the people that know about these mods are reading the modifications forum. When I suggest people to post their questions there, I'm just trying to help them get their questions answered more quickly.

Mar 22, 2008
It's very common for people to ask questions about unlocking or jailbreaking on this forum, but the majority of the people that know about these mods are reading the modifications forum. When I suggest people to post their questions there, I'm just trying to help them get their questions answered more quickly.
Thanks. I knew you were just trying to help. I come from an aquarium forum, and I deal with that all the time, too.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Question for Chris, why was depthnerd banned?
He voilated the forum rules several times, flamed other members, said awful things to Starry, even ran out two members. He basically used up all his chances.

- John

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
When you switch to T-Mobile do you need to change any settings for your sms to work? Please help. Thanks.