New Laptop... How do I transfer iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 30, 2007
I recently purchased a new laptop and installed iTunes. When I go to plug in my iPhone it tells me that the files on the laptop (which are none) will overwrite/erase that on the iPhone. How can I stop this from happening? I want the iPhone to transfer to the laptop so that I don't lose any files.

Can anyone please provide me some assistance?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Best thing to do is to copy the entire iTunes file from your old computer to your new computer, then let it rewrite the files. Of course you'll need a large flash drive or external hard drive to move the files (depending on how many you have.

Best place to ask is in the Apple support forum. That's where I learned to copy the iTunes file and move it to my new laptop. Because I only had about 3.5 GBs of music, it worked great for me.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Setup a network of your two laptops using a wireless router. That way you can just drag and drop. Thus should copy over your iPhone backup files too, so you should be able to sync on your new laptop as if you always had.

Air

Oct 14, 2007
I would say a crossover cable would be much faster than using a wireless router setup. Always have to have a handy dandy crossover cable around!