NEW LOW FOR ZYNGA (Yes, they outsmarted me)...

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rafagon, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

ZYNGA'S ad-free version of Zombie Swipeout (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-swipeout/id513355394?mt=8) does just that, and only that--removes ads from the gameplay--for $0.99. The game features great graphics and engrossing gameplay.

Sounds good so far. But there's a HUGE CATCH. Gameplay is limited, nay, crippled, even in the $0.99 PAID version. Basically, I can tell you that you get to you play for about 7 or 8 minutes before a timer shows you that you have to "recharge." This "recharging" takes ABOUT 8 MINUTES! Of course, you can skip the wait by paying coins, which, as I said, are not an unlimited resource. Sure, once you pay the $0.99 for the "ad-free" version you get a somewhat generous amounts of these coins. But, under light to medium game-play, these coins will soon drop down to 0 (oh, in about a week or so). WHILE PLAYING DOES EARN YOU MORE COINS, IT HAPPENS AT A VERY, VERY SLOW PLACE. Again, this is Zynga trying to get you to make an in-app purchase (i.e. real money).

There's yet another money-making mechanism (for Zynga) at work in this game. If you accidentally slash a human and you want to keep on playing, you can "rewind"--for a hefty price: you have to use a "rescue," and you get about 25 of those only AFTER upgrading to the $0.99 version.

ZYNGA's Words With Friends, Hanging With Friends, and Scramble with Friend work just fine without the in-app purchases of "Suspect Letters," "Extinguish Incorrect Tiles," and "Revive." All of these "perks" help you play a little better, but it's entirely possible to play 24/7 nonstop without buying them with virtual coins, coins are bought with REAL CASH.

If you get ZOMBIE SWIPEOUT by Zynga, then I guarantee that you will eventually be playing it for about 10 minutes at a time, before having to wait 8 minutes to refuel. Unless you start making in-app purchases to continue playing.

This is very similar to the arcade games of yesteryear, where your ship would die, and you had to pay $0.25 to continue playing. That was fair enough, as you were not buying the arcade machine itself. But it you BUY A GAME from the App Store, you should be able to play it 24/7 if you should want to. Zynga is the worst when it comes to this.

Zynga's Zombie Swipeout wants to make money for the company in three different ways:

(1) Revenue from ads if you get the free version
    (2) You run out of energy for playing for roughly 8-10 minutes--even AFTER you buy the paid version, encouraging you to spend more money on the game for "coins" to avoid the 8-minute wait while your character "recharges"
    (3) In order to continue gameplay right where you left off after accidentally slicing up a human instead of a zombie, you have to use a "rescue." You only get 25 opportunities to do this (AFTER you pay the $1 to get the ad-free version. More rescues are available, I'm sure, for--you guessed it--real cash.)

Zynga has no scruples. Had I know that even after paying $0.99 for the app, after playing for roughly ten minutes, I'd still be forced to wait while my character "recharges" for 8 minutes, I never would have bought the app!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Been Zynga free for over 3 months now. If I can do it you can to. #SayNoToZynga

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Zynga bashing :p

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the pep talk, Ben!

The iOS Zynga games I could possibly ditch (maybe not Words With Friends!). CityVille, their web-based game, well, that's another story, as I have an approximately 18-month investment in that game, and I've met many cool and friendly people from all over the world because of that game. You help your "neighbors" with their cities and vice versa. So it's kinda like a "we're in this together" type of deal.

And yes, at 38 years of age, I always notice lots of people older than me playing. Even old fogies like me enjoy it!

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You betcha! Don't get me started. I have plenty (more) to say about them, but I'll spare you... for now!

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Omg is it like FarmVille? You've been infected!

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Rule 24 of the "not be a dbag" code says don't use twitter hash tags in non twitter settings.

First warning.

8. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

Only going to get worse ;-( when all the big fish buy all the little fishes Facebook losses, they're going to expect more $$$.

Edit: #loveulongtime

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The negative reviews on that game have started, and one reviewer said the game was being "throttled." I couldn't have picked a better word than that. It's exactly like what AT&T does with data usage for their customers who may still remain on the [poorly-named] "unlimited" plan. If other companies start doing this with their mobile games, then mobile gaming WILL suffer. Like Rovio did with the Mighty Eagle: at first, you payed an extra dollar, but got unlimited uses (one per hour or so) of the eagle. Now you are asked to pay a dollar for every three eagles. But at least with Angry Birds, you can still play 24/7 without using the eagle and gameplay doesn't suffer. This isn't the case with Zynga's Zombie Swipeout. I would gladly pay 5x what I payed for it for truly unlimited play.

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

We have to use them on instagram too, and they existed before twitter.
    So rule #1, be informed (there, I did it again) :D

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Zynga bashing successful. They've lost my 70 cents from *that* scam. Honestly, it's unfortunate I had to take away Apple's cut. They deserve those 30 cents for their speedy handling of the situation:

I'm going to update my already-negative review of the game on the app store to encourage others to do the same.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So, Zynga posted this on their Zombie Swipeout FB page:
    Should I assume that the game will cease to function after that date?