New Mac Mini... problems ejecting disks while in Windows

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
So, I got a new Mac Mini :laugh2:

I love OS X as much as I ever did when I had it on my Hackintosh

However, I still need Windows for the occasional thing (can't seem to figure out an easy way to extract or mount .bin/.cue/.img CD images in OS X - can't get Quake 4 full version running on OS X - etc)

I tried Windows 7 and was fairly pleased with it, just that it uses too much memory for my tastes still. The Mac Mini I got is the new generation with Geforce 9400M, and 1 gig of RAM. Windows gets to use 867mb of RAM, and even after tweaking, upon booting up, I only managed to get Windows 7 up to 500mb free.

So, I've just put Windows XP on it, and so far so good - memory usage started out at 92mb, then went up to 113mb after the restart after installing the Mac drivers. However, now that I don't need the Leopard DVD in there anymore, I can't eject the disk! I hit the eject key on the keyboard, and the little transparent window pops up showing the eject icon, as if it's ejecting the disk, but it doesn't come out. I also cannot eject with a right-click on the DVD drive in My Computer

Any ideas? (I know I can eject by rebooting, holding down alt, then using the eject key there, but that's a little excessive for just an eject...)

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I have a simple solution
try to eject by rebooting, holding down alt, then using the eject key there

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Damn, I never would have thought of that! Thanks, iCafe. That was a brilliant suggestion.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
maybe the driver didn't install right... i haven't tried reinstalling only one bootcamp driver, but it may be possible. Otherwise, you can probably reinstall all drivers. PITA, but worth a shot.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The drive worked even before I installed Boot Camp. That's how I got the DVD read in the first place... I don't think it needs a specific driver to support an eject function, because the eject function was there even before the Boot Camp stuff was installed, it just didn't work. Prior to having XP on it, I had Windows 7 on it, where the eject function in the right-click menu worked right off the bat, so that I could eject the Windows 7 DVD to put the Leopard DVD in.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, you shouldn't need a driver to eject from within windows, but the Apple driver allows you to do so from a mac keyboard... and if THAT installs incorrectly, it could very well f-up ejecting altogether.

Have you tried uninstalling the drive from device manager, and restarting?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
anyway, are you liking the mini? what are you using it for?