New MacBook, Old Charger?

1. Saverino

Saverino Zealot Gold

Is it safe to use the charger that came with this MacBook:

[​IMG]

With this (new) MacBook?

[​IMG]

My cousin is trying to convince me that if I use my old MacBook's charger with my new MacBook, that it's going to mess up my new MacBook because "the new MacBooks are made more green, and energy efficient, and now the charger that came with your new MacBook doesn't give off as much electricity and the old charger is going to mess it up."

Is my cousin stupid and full of sh*t, or does he actually know what he's talking about?

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

It's possible... A good way to check would be to find the ac adapters in the Apple store, and see what devices are compatible.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

Based on Apple.com, it looks like it should work, but I'd verify with someone an Apple.

5. Saverino

Saverino Zealot Gold

The MBP's chargers are 80W and the MB is 60W.

Would that cause any damage to either?

I've used a MBP's charger with my old MB which is 60W also and it's fine, but I don't want to take any chances with my new MB.

6. Saverino

Saverino Zealot Gold

Wow. Nevermind. I'm a complete idiot. I meant to post a pic of the previous gen MacBook Pro, and some other stuff.

It's all figured out now.

7. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot Gold

Apple doesn't sell "glass book" chargers or "white book" chargers. They sell 45w, 60w and 80w, thats it. So if your old charger is a 60w it will work and from what I've heard, the 80w will work the macbook, but the 60w won't charge the battery and run the macbook pro