New MacBook or Old MacBook?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I was putting off the Macbook purchase last year until the new ones were released, but now that I've seen what the new line has to offer, the old line still has a special allure. Any opinions out there?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
There also appears to be a decent deal on a refurbished macbook pro with the new line coming out. click

or for the same price, a macbook air. dear god, so many choices.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
New ones do bring advancements that are nice such as the better graphics cards and such. They're also lighter (I might have made that up) and thinner so that is also a plus. That being said, if I personally had to choose between the old and the new, I would go with old. I say this because I've got the sleek aluminumness of the Air so I want for the old body style.

I am really of no help to you at all Alex.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what are you gonna be doing with it?

that MBP refurb is a great deal.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
what are you gonna be doing with it?

that MBP refurb is a great deal.
Right now I don't run any memory/graphic intensive programs, but only because i don't have the hardware to support them - so it's a little hard to say. Would you recommend this over the other MBP refurb I showed you?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
everything's a little bit better in that one... not any one HUGE difference. Processor, graphics, memory, etc. Probably even battery life.

The other advantage to the new unibodies is that they make it very easy to replace your hard drive... so much so that i'm sure you could manage it yourself if you needed to outside of a warranty. The old models you pretty much have to disassemble.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I would say go with the new MacBook. After having both, I hate using my old one compared to the new one. Once you learn all the trackpad commands and things like that, it's really nice. The quality of the new one is great compared to the old one, too.
These are all my personal opinions, btw.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Oh I forgot about the newer trackpad commands. I've got them on the Air and when I use an older MB I try using them and get frustrated from the lack of them. They are certainly a major plus.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Oh I forgot about the newer trackpad commands. I've got them on the Air and when I use an older MB I try using them and get frustrated from the lack of them. They are certainly a major plus.
That's my favorite thing about the new Macs. Especially in Safari - 3 finger swipe left to go back, 3 right to go forward, etc. Very nice feature.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Well that actually does help. Now that I'm leaning toward the new generation, I just have to decide Macbook/Pro/Air.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
That's my favorite thing about the new Macs. Especially in Safari - 3 finger swipe left to go back, 3 right to go forward, etc. Very nice feature.
umm you can do the 3 finger swipe in safari on the old MBP's as well.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Remember that the air is slower, and has less memory. It is just thinner and lighter.
The Pro has pretty much everything, excellent graphics, lots of memory, fast processor, but considering it's price tag is much more than the MB/A you might not need all that I just listed depending on what you do with your computer.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
new unibody MacBook. It's like a MBP and several hundred cheaper. All your sacrificing is the lager screen.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Not exactly. The Mbp has a nvidia 8600 graphics card, FireWire port, larger HD, and faster processor.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Hey - I offered to Phil, but it's good to you too - if you're interested. I bought my blackbook 2 weeks before the refresh if you're interested. Still have the box and all original parts. Not pushing to upgrade/sell, but if either of you guys are interested, shoot me a PM or email (or text). :)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks Rammy, but I think I've made up my mind. I'm pretty sure I'm getting this but at the moment when I press add to cart, it just takes me to the Apple home page. Does it do this for anyone else?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Thanks Rammy, but I think I've made up my mind. I'm pretty sure I'm getting this but at the moment when I press add to cart, it just takes me to the Apple home page. Does it do this for anyone else?
It says out of stock. Check the upper right.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It says out of stock. Check the upper right.
It was out of stock last night. Then an hour ago it said "Ships 3-5 days" and "add to cart" but didn't work. Now it says sold out. I guess they sell out quick. :(