New MacBook owner. Needs info on syncing iPhone

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Hi all,

I finally made the plunge and bought a Macbook. My iPhone has been syncing with my PC and I just needed a little clarification. Do I have to do anything to sync my iPhone for the first time (like formatting it to Mac) or can I just plug and sync. I still have to move my iTunes library to my Macbook but just wanted to get some info before I try anything. As always thanks for the help beforehand.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Congrads on the MB. You won't regret it for on minute. Get everything you need on your MB and you will be good to go. Make sure you have your contacts switched over too. Don't need to do anything special to sync. It is such a smooth and seamless process.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
as long as you choose to "merge" your contacts from your iPhone to your macbook the first time you sync, you won't have to transfer them manually.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Congrads on the MB. You won't regret it for on minute. Get everything you need on your MB and you will be good to go. Make sure you have your contacts switched over too. Don't need to do anything special to sync. It is such a smooth and seamless process.
A little ignorance here. How do I switch my contacts over. Is it from iTunes? Also do I have to set up my iPhone mail accounts again (I'm thinking no)?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
see my post above regarding transferring contacts.

If you setup your email in the Mail app first, then that will also sync to your iPhone without a problem.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I thought this may be a good place to post my question... I just purchased my SECOND MacBook (aluminum WITH BACKLIT KEYBOARD~Excuse the excitement) problem is I couldn't do a Mac to Mac data transfer ie iTunes. What are my options? Is there any way for me to sync without losing what's already on my phone?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes, this pops up a question for me as well:
I'm a longtime user of PC, and when I get my macbook, how can I have my iTunes transferred? I don't want to have to lose everything on my iPhone when I resync it to my new MacBook.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
any media will have to be manually transferred. You can back up your library to optical discs using the iTunes tool under "file", or you can transfer everything to an external hard drive, or transfer from one computer to the other through a network... lots of different options. You can transfer contacts by "merging" them from your phone as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I too am also in the same boat.... Ill be getting a MBP, and since all my media/iTunes info etc is on my PC, i think ill be scared to sync my iPhone and loose everything when synced to the Mac.

Even tho i have the option to firewire everything over, dosent iTunes save everything on a network? Like if i sign into my iTunes account, wont all my contacts, backups, media be downloaded to the iTunes on the mac?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
any media will have to be manually transferred. You can back up your library to optical discs using the iTunes tool under "file", or you can transfer everything to an external hard drive, or transfer from one computer to the other through a network... lots of different options. You can transfer contacts by "merging" them from your phone as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Right, will a Genius be able to transfer my iTunes files over? The way I see it is, they'll copy it over to my mac, but all the original source files will be gone, so no music, right? Most of my music is uploaded cds and such.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that stuff can be transferred too. Not a problem at all.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
So, this is something I would need my Genius to do, correct?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not necessarily. If you know where to find the files, and how to copy and paste, you can probably manage it ok.

That being said, they may do it for free.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Right, my problem is this:
A month or two ago, my account on my windows box became corrupted.
I created a new one and copied and pasted my iTunes backup file to my new account. Any music cd i had uploaded was gone, only downloaded music remained. So I don't think that would work?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I would have them double check. Chances are the stuff is still there. If not, you have a very nasty windows corruption.