New MacBook Pro features Touch Bar with Touch ID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafagon, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The new MacBook Pro features a "Touch Bar" with Touch ID. A chip called the T1 functions as the “Secure Enclave” (sound familiar?) that holds the data from your fingerprint scan(s).

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm a little bit concerned about this "butterfly mechanism." If I type on it here, can I cause a tornado somewhere on the other side of the world?

butterfly.jpg

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I loved everything I saw regarding the new MBP, but I am not one to immediately order it. My friend on the other hand did just that. He got the 15" and insurance along with it. The total cost was $2,862.15. Currently I obviously have a MBP, but also an iMac. I'd love to start using my iMac more than I have been.

Update: My Friend now has an updated cost and got an almost $400 discount as a student. Even so, it's a lot of money. Also in the stock app, Apple stock may have been effected due to as it says, "Price jump startles some."

#3 MoneyMaker79, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I think I'll wait for the next update on this. I have a 13 inch 2015 model and I'm not ready to loose my magsafe, HDMI and USB ports. Perhaps by the next refresh I'll come to grips. I did buy a MacBook also recently so this new MacBook Pro is a no go for now.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My brother just sent me a screenshot of his order. O_o
    IMG_1168.PNG

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

4.3 Gs! Dang, that’s what, like a down payment on one of those golden Apple Watch Editions!?

That 2 TB SSD is gonna be sweet!

Full video of today’s event, for anyone who missed it.

#6 Rafagon, Oct 27, 2016
  7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

A little steep for sure :/

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would love to get the new MBP...but with my iMac and obviously my current MBP, it's a hard decision. For many it's not as you have the awesome new features, but for me it's hard to chuck out $2,000+ just like that, at least once it's shipped. They don't charge you immediately.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I have mixed feelings. Hate that they got rid of the HDMI and mag charger. Like the form factor and new bar. Hate the price. I got a new M7 MacBook for portability and was selling my 2015 MBP to buy the new MBP but I'll keep it and wait for the next gen or refresh instead.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They might’ve been paying $1 or $2 in licensing fees for the HDMI port. Thunderbolt 3 is free for them.

Anyone know if the thing still has a 3.5mm headphone jack? Or was that banished from this product as well? :D

Update: It turns out it’s less than what I guesstimated. For the HDMI port, per unit:

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.24.27 PM.png

Plus there’s this annual fee as well:

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.31.28 PM.png

#10 Rafagon, Oct 27, 2016
  11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The more I look the more gimmicky that touch bar looks..... sigh

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Why is the max RAM of the new MacBook Pro 16 GB? Battery performance concerns.

Still, 16 GB is… fairly freakin’ nice, to say the least.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Base model is 8GB isn't it?.... never mind I just read the article LOL

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I also learned today that for the first time, Apple has removed the glow from the Apple logo on the back of the screen. Yes, the Apple logo's still there, obviously, but the glow has been extinguished. However, I imagine this won’t be a dealbreaker for anyone considering all the new and improved features.

It probably won’t be long before someone figures out an insane mod to make it glow, as has already happened with the iPhone 7.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Two more revelations have been recently revealed regarding the recently released MacBook Pro:
    1. The Thunderbolt 3 ports: The two ports on the right side of the 13-inch incarnation of the machine have reduced PCI Express bandwidth. For that reason, "Apple recommends plugging higher-performance devices into the left-hand ports." It’s kind of a bummer to have to remember this little detail considering this machine ain’t cheap.
    2. You can say au revoir to the harmonious F-sharp chord heard when powering on almost any Mac since… basically forever. It’s gone, so go ahead and put in for your bereavement leave now if you must. One reason why Apple may now consider it superfluous is mentioned here.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro is, obviously, an OLED screen. Have you wondered what its resolution is?

It is 2170×60 pixels, and here’s where I got that information.

Not too shabby considering the screen resolution of the 15-inch MacBook Pro is 2880x1800 pixels (source here).

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

California-based iFixit is at it again, as expected; they’ve torn down one of the new MacBook Pros.

Ready to see the beautiful machine get pitilessly dismembered? Click here.

Spoiler Alert: This is a teardown of the MacBook Pro with the physical function keys. The Touch Bar MacBook Pro hasn’t been torn down yet, but it’s safe to say we’ll see that teardown soon enough.

Update: MacBook Pro 13” with Touch Bar has been torn down by iFixit.

#19 Rafagon, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple wants the Touch Bar to be taken seriously. Your MacBook Pro, your money, but Apple wants you to use it how they see fit.

Too late, Apple. People are already having fun with it.

TouchFart:
    1. Three different fart sounds
    2. Two emoji and one word: "fart"
    3. Works with the TouchFart macOS app to allow selection and playback of predefined fart sounds.
    Demo video (NSFW: Sounds of Flatulence):

#20 Rafagon, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016