Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Zaprudering the iPhone Commercials: Maps

Posted Jun 4th 2007 9:30PM by Erica Sadun
Filed under: iPhone
digg_url = 'http://digg.com/Apple/Zaprudering_the_iphone_Commercials_Maps';
Wow. The things you can learn from Apple commercials. Notice anything about that map icon? It looked mighty familiar to me and as TUAW reader Brian noted in our comments, that's a wee stylized image of 1 Infinite Loop, Apple Headquarters--or at least...kind of. The arrow looks more like it's on North de Anza Boulevard than Infinite Loop itself, but it's close enough for me. Here are a bunch of other things I've noticed about iPhone maps.
  • We got a great look at the keyboard interface, when doing the Maps search. The QWERTY keyboard includes a shift button, a delete button, an option to switch to a numeric view, and a search button (which I assume is the same as "return").
  • It looks like the interaction order is: Search, select a pin, press the (>) button on the link, and then view the location information.
  • Pacific Catch is a real restaurant. I called it up and spoke briefly to a hostess named Fancy (like the adjective). "We've been getting calls all morning from all over the country. People want to know if we're a real businesss. We are."

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Maybe pinpoint your location in reference to the nearest interstate or major highway? I dunno, seems like it would be an interesting little tidbit thrown in by Apple.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
maybe the super secret feature is gps and the map icon on the home screen is a live feed of the gps map! unfortunately, the icon shows the same picture in the keynote as it does in the commericals... so that idea is dead