*new member* upgrade from 1.1.2 ?

pawl

Mar 20, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland (U.K)
Hi there,

I am new to the EIC forums, I just have a couple of quick questions regarding upgrading from 1.1.2.

I am running an 8GB 1.1.2 iPhone on O2 (U.K) network. Its unlocked and I have installer on it etc. Just wondering is it worth upgrading to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 ?
all of my stuff seems to be working fine and all the new apps that come out seem to be compatible, but I notice there are a select few which don't. Is there much difference if I upgrade and would I benefit that much?

If so, how would I go about upgrading it as I bought my iPhone unlocked already for me, so I'm not very keyed up on how to go about it lol.

Thanks in advance,
pawl

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
sure.

welcome to the EIC, first off.

second, you can easily update if you like, and here is how you do it.

1) connect to iTunes,
2) press restore
3) let iPhone restore
4) download ZiPhone (www.ziPhone.org)
5) while iPhone is at activation screen, open ZiPhone and click Do It All
6) wothin 4 minutes, your iPhone will reboot and be unlocked.

have a good day.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Welcome to EIC! Hope you enjoy.

pawl

Mar 20, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland (U.K)
sure.

1) connect to iTunes,
2) press restore
3) let iPhone restore

have a good day.

Thanks for the quick reply,

See if I use the restore on iPhone will that update to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4?
is there anyway to choose, I heard that 1.1.3 is better?

Will I lose any programs or SMS or anythin stored in my iPhone if I do this?

Thanks,
pawl

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Thanks for the quick reply,

See if I use the restore on iPhone will that update to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4?
is there anyway to choose, I heard that 1.1.3 is better?

Will I lose any programs or SMS or anythin stored in my iPhone if I do this?

Thanks,
pawl
you will lose everything.

but you can sync most of it back, like contacts.

if you go to the Info tab, you will see an option to sync contacts.

and it doesn't matter what FW you go to, 1.1.4 and 1.1.3 arent really different.

Mar 22, 2008
sure.

1) connect to iTunes,
2) press restore
3) let iPhone restore

have a good day.
I, too am new here, and will be getting an iPhone in the next couple months. I'm just wondering, does iTunes update it to the current FW version, or does ZiPhone do the upgrade with your method? For the "Do it all" on ZiPhone, do you have to download the iTunes FW package yourself, and load it to your PC somewhere for ZiPhone to find it, or does ZiPhone update the phone through the web?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I, too am new here, and will be getting an iPhone in the next couple months. I'm just wondering, does iTunes update it to the current FW version, or does ZiPhone do the upgrade with your method? For the "Do it all" on ZiPhone, do you have to download the iTunes FW package yourself, and load it to your PC somewhere for ZiPhone to find it, or does ZiPhone update the phone through the web?
you will need to upgrade/restore through iTunes first, and iTunes does it for you.

and then you will need to run ZiPhone.

Mar 22, 2008
you will need to upgrade/restore through iTunes first, and iTunes does it for you.

and then you will need to run ZiPhone.
Sweet. Thanks. I have done a lot of stuff in the PSP homebew community, and with the PSP, many firmwares aren't hackable for a while after being released. Also, if you upgrade to a newer Sony firmware, you can't downgrade, or run homebrew. Is the iPhone firmware the same?

What I'm trying to ask is, with earlier releases of iPhone firmware, was it at first impossible to jailbreak with every new version, and unable to be unlocked or jailbroke for a while? I just wanted to know if I should wait to upgrade to 2.0 (when it comes out) until it's confirmed that it doesn't brick, lock, or un-jailbreak the phones.

pawl

Mar 20, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland (U.K)
Thanks, that info is really helpful.

I managed to get zipphone off my friend.

See when I sync it to iTunes and update/restore it, does iTunes let me choose 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 or does it have a default, because I think I would prefer to go for 1.1.3.

One more thing is it possible at all to upgrade the version without losing all the data on my iPhone or is that just a sacrifice you have to take ? :p lol.

Thanks again,
pawl