New Microsoft add campaign begins!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I stick to FF as well, but i've heard many good things about the improved speed and stability of IE8... supposedly faster than firefox.

I still wouldn't switch to it... i'm just saying that it appears to be a vast improvement, and hopefully is indicative of improvements in other MS software.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
They're making some improvements in that they're catching up to Firefox as far as features, but it's quite a step back in performance...after opening up a few tabs, it alone uses more memory than Windows does. It's also significantly slower than Firefox, even with the handful of extensions I have on Firefox and disabling addons in IE8.

They need to concentrate some of that brainpower to tightening it up, making it optimized and fast. Surely just a few man-weeks spent on it by that massive development resource they have will turn it into quite a competitor, no?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll gladly watch this new MS ad series if it muscles out airtime from Apple's Mac V. PC ads. For real, I laughed for a good long time at, like, the first 20 or so of those. It's over. Time for a new campaign. Do you guys really thing they're still amusing?

To each his own, I suppose.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'll gladly watch this new MS ad series if it muscles out airtime from Apple's Mac V. PC ads. For real, I laughed for a good long time at, like, the first 20 or so of those. It's over. Time for a new campaign. Do you guys really thing they're still amusing?

To each his own, I suppose.
yeah, the latest one (pizza and college kids) is pretty lame.

check out the british ones if you haven't, though. They're pretty amusing.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just saw the second in the series tonight. It's not getting any better, folks.
I do not get why Seinfeld is hanging with Gates...

I thought the 2nd commercial was funny how the parents had a family meeting and the thing (was it a giraffe?) is missing off the mantle. One of the parents said "It has been in our family 6 years" like it is an heirloom or something.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Supposedly the point is that "superstars" Gates and Seinfeld and hanging out with ordinary people. Something tells me Microsoft is trying to identify with John and Jane Doe out there. If nothing else, they have people talking. This is good for Microsoft. They could use a little humanization these days.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
have you guys seen the WHOLE ad? the latest one on tv is only 20% of the whole ad that is online. Maybe my sense of humor i sdifferent than most..i find it pretty clever and funny at times.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Gates isn't good at doing commercials, not that I could do a better job. Maybe it would be better if they didn't pair him with Seinfield all of the time.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I love all the rumors flying around the internet. MS dumped Seinfeld for future ads. MS hired Pharrell to replace Seinfeld. MS didn't dump Seinfeld.

This campaign is DEFINITELY working.