NEW Otterbox waterproof iPhone case info:

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
Here's the link:

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/iphone-case-armor/

So far this looks good to me. I already have one on order. I like that they've extended the ship date to mid December from the original late November. I hope that this means they intend to "get it right"!

Pasted from the page:

The OtterBox for Apple iPhone Armor™ Series is NOW AVAILABE FOR PRE-ORDER! Order your Otterbox for Apple iPhone Armor™ Series today and we will ship it by December 12th! (Credit cards will not be charged until the item ships.)

Armor™ Series: Ready for any adventure no matter what Mother Nature brings! This fully rugged line of interactive cases safeguards from rain, dust, dirt, drops and other mishaps. Ideal for active lifestyles, the Armor™ series protects devices so you can take your technology virtually anywhere, rain or shine!

Features:

• Armor™ Series for Apple iPhone.
  • Accommodates Apple iPod phone 4 GB and 8 GB models.
  • Waterproof, dustproof, dirtproof, sandproof, and drop-proof.
  • Screen protected by a PATENTED thin membrane which remains fully functional through the case.
  • Two easy open compound latches secure the case.
  • iPhone is cradled by impact absorbing rubber on all sides.
  • External phone jack maintains the microphone and click button functionality of the Apple headphones or usable with any style headphones with a standard mini stereo plug (1/8").
  • Belt clip included with purchase of the case!

I like the part about using regular headphone plugs, as well as padding on all sides. I'm still using my (free!) Otterbox Defender case in spite of the well documented flaws, and I DO like it.

I have high hopes for this new case - I'll let you know....and NO, I don't work for Otterbox!:cool:

tmoce

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Here's the link:

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/iphone-case-armor/

So far this looks good to me. I already have one on order. I like that they've extended the ship date to mid December from the original late November. I hope that this means they intend to "get it right"!

Pasted from the page:

The OtterBox for Apple iPhone Armor™ Series is NOW AVAILABE FOR PRE-ORDER! Order your Otterbox for Apple iPhone Armor™ Series today and we will ship it by December 12th! (Credit cards will not be charged until the item ships.)

Armor™ Series: Ready for any adventure no matter what Mother Nature brings! This fully rugged line of interactive cases safeguards from rain, dust, dirt, drops and other mishaps. Ideal for active lifestyles, the Armor™ series protects devices so you can take your technology virtually anywhere, rain or shine!

Features:
  • Armor™ Series for Apple iPhone.
  • Accommodates Apple iPod phone 4 GB and 8 GB models.
  • Waterproof, dustproof, dirtproof, sandproof, and drop-proof.
  • Screen protected by a PATENTED thin membrane which remains fully functional through the case.
  • Two easy open compound latches secure the case.
  • iPhone is cradled by impact absorbing rubber on all sides.
  • External phone jack maintains the microphone and click button functionality of the Apple headphones or usable with any style headphones with a standard mini stereo plug (1/8").
  • Belt clip included with purchase of the case!
I like the part about using regular headphone plugs, as well as padding on all sides. I'm still using my (free!) Otterbox Defender case in spite of the well documented flaws, and I DO like it.

I have high hopes for this new case - I'll let you know....and NO, I don't work for Otterbox!:cool:

One of the reasons that I bought the iPhone is because of its thinness, with this it will make you look like you have a tumor in your leg. too bulky for me

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
One of the reasons that I bought the iPhone is because of its thinness, with this it will make you look like you have a tumor in your leg. too bulky for me
Ha that's funny!

My reason for getting the phone was the features but I do understand your opinion. I don't put the phone in my pants pocket anyway, but I would agree that it might be a bit thick for the shirt pocket where I keep it now with this new case.

That said, it will still be thinner even with the new case than i605 Motorola that I had before this phone.

I think what appeals to me about this case is that I won't need to "baby" the phone as much. I've already dropped my phone twice without damage, but I don't think my luck will hold out forever.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, it's bulky. But with it I can finally take my iPhone into the toilet room without fear.

Oh, and FINALLY I can talk on the phone while I am swimming. Can't tell you how long I've been waiting to do that! :laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
That case is ugly as hell I must say, but it will be great for using in the outdoors to which I work mostly...;)

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
More Choices..

Good point. That leads me to believe they've barely tested it... If at all.
I think this case will be more waterproof than anything available now that will still permit the phone to be used without removing it from the case.

I agree that the case will be a bit large for everyday use, but as with all cases the phone can switched from one case to another as needed. I don't think of a case as a final decision, but as another option.
:cool:

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I think this case will be more waterproof than anything available now that will still permit the phone to be used without removing it from the case.

I agree that the case will be a bit large for everyday use, but as with all cases the phone can switched from one case to another as needed. I don't think of a case as a final decision, but as another option.
:cool:
But can we take underwater pics using this new case? ;) What happens if an angry boat passenger throws my iPhone overboard? Will it float etc... :mad:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
But can we take underwater pics using this new case? ;) What happens if an angry boat passenger throws my iPhone overboard? Will it float etc... :mad:
Doesn't matter if it floats or not in that case, throw him/her in after it!;)

Nov 9, 2007
Otterbox cases typically are waterproof to 3 feet and that's it. So I wouldn't plan on swimming with your phone :laugh2:

Here's what they say on the iPhone otterbox webpage: *Note: This case is NOT fully waterproof, but will protect against light rain and precipitation. Otter Products is not responsible for personal property when used in the incorrect case. For more details, please see our warranty.

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
According to the website, you CAN swim with it!

Otterbox cases typically are waterproof to 3 feet and that's it. So I wouldn't plan on swimming with your phone :laugh2:

Here's what they say on the iPhone otterbox webpage: *Note: This case is NOT fully waterproof, but will protect against light rain and precipitation. Otter Products is not responsible for personal property when used in the incorrect case. For more details, please see our warranty.

http://otterbox.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1194454519964

From the Otterbox site, link above:

*Note: The OtterBox for iPod and iPhone Defender™ Series cases are NOT waterproof and are not intended to protect against water intrusion.

**Note: While OtterBox for iPod or iPhone Armor™ Series are great for surface swimming, snorkeling and active sports, the cases are NOT adapted to withstand pressures experienced by scuba diving. Using the incorrect case may cause leaking. Otter Products is not responsible for personal property when used in the incorrect case. For more details, see our warranty.

I'm not saying I WILL swim with it, but seems to be a pretty tough case...:cool:

Nov 9, 2007
http://otterbox.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1194454519964

From the Otterbox site, link above:

*Note: The OtterBox for iPod and iPhone Defender™ Series cases are NOT waterproof and are not intended to protect against water intrusion.

**Note: While OtterBox for iPod or iPhone Armor™ Series are great for surface swimming, snorkeling and active sports, the cases are NOT adapted to withstand pressures experienced by scuba diving. Using the incorrect case may cause leaking. Otter Products is not responsible for personal property when used in the incorrect case. For more details, see our warranty.

I'm not saying I WILL swim with it, but seems to be a pretty tough case...:cool:

I picked up the Nano version of the Otterbox and my Nano went directly from the box to the case. It's rock solid and I have no problems recommending Otterbox products at all. If you want max protection for your phone, this is the case to get. :) I haven't decided on the iPhone Otterbox as I don't know if the added bulk is going to be annoying to me :)

If anyone picks it up, lemme know what you think.

Cheers!