New page for tracking iPhone 5S rumors

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
One page dedicated to tracking iPhone 5S rumors. No conjecture, fearless predictions or use of a magic eight ball. Hoping this will provide for a clear and concise account of what's being said regarding the upcoming new iPhone. Claims are presented in reverse chronological order.

If I'm missing something of note, please let me know. As we proceed into silly season, I'll continue to update this accordingly.

If you find this useful, please share it, bookmark it and comment.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'll still go with 32. I just don't have any need for more space right now. I stream movies instead of storing them and only have 11 GB of music in my entire library. And if the new phone has a 12 MP camera, I hope it has a setting to turn it down to 5 or 8. 8 MB pics are already massive enough for a cell phone camera. This year I'm more concerned with a faster processor, better camera optics rather than more megapixels and software enhancements.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If I were to express my biggest single criticism of Apple Inc., it would be the fact that they are engaging in highway robbery when it comes to the storage capacities of their iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads. I don't *need* a 128GB iPhone. But hey, how much does 128GB vs. 64GB add to their bill of materials for an iUnit? $8? $10?

Sure, I understand that they're in it for the money. $10*35M units is a lot. But, c'mon, Apple, you have how many $billions in your wallet already? Are you aiming for a $trillion?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If I were to express my biggest single criticism of Apple Inc., it would be the fact that they are engaging in highway robbery when it comes to the storage capacities of their iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads. I don't *need* a 128GB iPhone. But hey, how much does 128GB vs. 64GB add to their bill of materials for an iUnit? $8? $10?

Sure, I understand that they're in it for the money. $10*35M units is a lot. But, c'mon, Apple, you have how many $billions in your wallet already? Are you aiming for a $trillion?
Why is it when a company makes an arbitrary amount of actual liquid spendable money, that people start feeling like they are getting ripped off simply because that company can now afford to lose millions by giving us something for free? No electronics company would do that. They are still in the businesss of turning a profit, regardless of the value of the company. The price of the parts come down with time, and that's when we see the storage specs jump (because they don't have to increase the price of the phone when they improve the specs). How many other smartphones have more than 64 GB of onboard storage space? None. Expandable memory doesn't count - the consumer has to pay more for that, not the phone manufacturer.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Why is it when a company makes an arbitrary amount of actual liquid spendable money, that people start feeling like they are getting ripped off simply because that company can now afford to lose millions by giving us something for free? No electronics company would do that. They are still in the businesss of turning a profit, regardless of the value of the company. The price of the parts come down with time, and that's when we see the storage specs jump. How many other smartphones have more than 64 GB of onboard storage space? None. Expandable memory doesn't count - the consumer has to pay more for that, not the phone manufacturer.
Touché. I can't argue with that.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
i want 128G too...always went with the most I could get with every iPhone.....I have 25GIG free on my 64G...but would love a 128G model...

i will be upgrading to 5S as hard not too with the subsidy from AT&T...only cost me 299 for 64G and I can sell my 5 to cover that cost