New PC gonna screw up my iPhone?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Ok I'm getting a new pc next week that has vista 64 installed instead of the XP that I have now. Making the purchase, it never occurred to me about issues pertaining to iTunes and the iPhone and it's compatibility with 64bit versions of Vista.

Should I expect horror and frustration? I've had nothing but good times using the 4 year old antique that I'm about to replace. The new computer is a beast but I've heard there could be problems...

Any thoughts..? (other than comments about how it should have been a Mac :) )

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
How does that one law go? Anything that can go wrong, will

LOL, just messin with ya, hope everything goes well. And aren't 64-bit OS backwards compatible with 32-bit programs?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
How does that one law go? Anything that can go wrong, will

LOL, just messin with ya, hope everything goes well. And aren't 64-bit OS backwards compatible with 32-bit programs?
yes they are I've just hears some crazy things like Apple just got around to a compatable 64 bit iTunes just a couple of updates ago...whatever..I hope all goes well

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I remember hearing something about iTunes and Vista 64-bit, but I'm sure it's been fixed. If not, you'd see more people here creating threads about it.

Enjoy your new rig. As a Mac user, I don't Vista is that bad. I'd take it any day over XP. Whenever I need to use Bootcamp, Vista is always my first choice. Now if I could only get my Aero effects working again. I think I need to reinstall Vista, but too lazy to do it. I'm guessing Fusion screwed it somehow because my Windows Experience number is like 5. something...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Ok I'm getting a new pc next week that has vista 64 installed instead of the XP that I have now. Making the purchase, it never occurred to me about issues pertaining to iTunes and the iPhone and it's compatibility with 64bit versions of Vista.

Should I expect horror and frustration? I've had nothing but good times using the 4 year old antique that I'm about to replace. The new computer is a beast but I've heard there could be problems...
You should be fine. Here's a link for the 64-bit version of iTunes 8.

Any thoughts..? (other than comments about how it should have been a Mac :) )
LOL!

-K

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Actually, programs written for 32-bit OSes are NOT always compatible with 64-bit OSes... in fact, they rarely are (if ever).

That being said, when you sync with iTunes for the first time, it'll ask you to "Merge" the data on your iPhone with your computer. Do that, and all of your contacts will be transferred just fine. Media you'll have to do the old-fashioned way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
why bother? The 64-bit iTunes should work fine.