New Phone February..

Emccus01

Oct 21, 2007
I am a forum stalker and someone who is highly intrigued by this phone. I am also very disappointed in the lack of office capability. Regardless, I went to an At&t store today to look at the new Blackberry Curve and ended up fooling around with the iPhone. I tried to work with my company's outlook express site, which was very slow btw. A salesperson came by and we talked about the phone and he divulged about the new colored iPhones coming out for the holidays as everyone else has been discussing. He also mentioned, with certainty, that a new iPhone version will come out around the release of the SDK in February. This version he told me will have 3g technology. I was quite surprised and interested since I won't get this phone until it becomes unlocked and has more capabilities. With 3g I may consider the iPhone over the Blackberry since I can better access outlook express with the faster connection. I only hope they come out with some way to be more businesss friendly.

Well Steve Jobs himself stated that there will be a 3G iPhone eventually but it won't be till late 2008. It's entirely possible there might be another iPhone using edge released before then but that doesn't make allot of sense since people can't afford to upgrade every 6 months or so.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I am a forum stalker and someone who is highly intrigued by this phone. I am also very disappointed in the lack of office capability. Regardless, I went to an At&t store today to look at the new Blackberry Curve and ended up fooling around with the iPhone. I tried to work with my company's outlook express site, which was very slow btw. A salesperson came by and we talked about the phone and he divulged about the new colored iPhones coming out for the holidays as everyone else has been discussing. He also mentioned, with certainty, that a new iPhone version will come out around the release of the SDK in February. This version he told me will have 3g technology. I was quite surprised and interested since I won't get this phone until it becomes unlocked and has more capabilities. With 3g I may consider the iPhone over the Blackberry since I can better access outlook express with the faster connection. I only hope they come out with some way to be more businesss friendly.
yes and he heard that from a guy that heard that from a guy that read that on the net that some other guy posted that had heard it from another guy and so on and so on...

We shall see!;) I'm still waiting...:laugh2:

Aug 16, 2007
Avoiding the Edsel Syndrome

He also mentioned, with certainty, that a new iPhone version will come out around the release of the SDK in February.
SDK is good. But, it needs much more.

This version he told me will have 3g technology.
3G is good, too. But, it still needs much more.

I was quite surprised and interested since I won't get this phone until it becomes unlocked and has more capabilities.
Agreed. It needs to be unlockable. Even worse, it needs voice dialing, Java support, copy and paste, A2DP Bluetooth stereo support, a headset jack that will fit most common headset plugs, a memory card slot, a user-replaceable battery and REAL downloadable ringtones that don't cost $2 each. GPS and Flash support would also be nice.

If version 2 of the iPhone doesn't come out soon, with at least some of those features, I may be forced to go with the Blackberry 8820, which has all of those features, including GPS. Sure, it has only a standard size screen and a physical keyboard and doesn't have some of the glitzy features of the iPhone. But, it has all of the features that we use daily and have come to expect of any smartphone and even most ordinary cell phones. Furthermore, like every other cell phone, downloadable ringtones for the 8820 can be made from any sound source - not just those of which Steve Jobs approves - and they don't have to cost a penny, if you use Phonezoo or any of several other free download services.

As many people have pointed out, companies usually don't issue major upgrades to tech gadgets in less than a year. But, how many times have you heard of a company cutting the price of a new gadget by 40%, after only a month or two? Normally, the introductory price is lower, to pump up initial sales. Prices of new gadgets normally start low, for a "limited time" and then go up, until it reaches market saturation. Only then do prices drop.

Sure, Apple has sold a million iPhones. I bought one. The question is, "How many have actually been activated and remain activated today?" It should be noted that a returned product costs the company much more than an unsold product, sitting on the shelf.

My iPhone was activated on June 29, but was returned 4 days later. Are they counting mine in those sales figures? If sales are so great, why did Apple feel the need to anger so many of their early adopters, with an almost immediate, major price cut? Sure, they're issuing $100 certificates (that cover only half of the price cut), to those early adopters. But, the question remains, "Why?" If all is so great with iPhone "activations," then why the major price cut?

Apple is very good at creating great products. Furthermore, on the very, very few occasions when one of their new products had major shortcomings, they have consistently been very quick to fix those shortcomings - unlike Microsoft, who simply issues a long string of press releases; each stating that a new release is imminent.

The early major price cut and Apple's reputation for timely fixes are why I strongly suspect that a much improved iPhone cannot be too far away. It's also why I have not yet bought an 8820 (which is now available in London, where I have a second home). Like many other Apple fans, I am waiting for iPhone II. But, I can't afford to wait forever.

If Apple waits a year to release a truly functional iPhone, the rest of the cell phone companies will have their functional competing products on the shelves. I think that Steve Jobs knows that he has only a limited time window, in which to fix the iPhone, if he doesn't want it to become the Edsel of the cell phone market.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
This post is so full of crap.....You know how many similar posts like this..? All of which are FULL OF CRAP! Quit wasting everyone's time with your nonesense...:(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I call BS.
Apple has said nothing about colored phones, or a new iPhone in Feb. Remember, this was an AT&T salesperson. Not an Apple executive.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Well Steve Jobs himself stated that there will be a 3G iPhone eventually but it won't be till late 2008. It's entirely possible there might be another iPhone using edge released before then but that doesn't make allot of sense since people can't afford to upgrade every 6 months or so.
Hopefully old Stevie is Lying, cell phones are not like computers, new ones come out every day and this one came out already behind the times in terms of several features that even 2 year old cell phones have.

I am betting sales would be double what it was if it had 3G, A2DP and god come on no picture texting.

I really hope its not the end of 08 because I will have to purchase another phone if there is no 3G before then.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I'm going to guess there will be a new iPhone every year or year and a half or so. I would really love gps and video recording in future versions! I did want 3g really bad when I got the iPhone, because I loved 3g on my helio phone. However, after reading a review on the US nokia n95 in pcmag, they gave it a 3/5 because the battery life was horrible because of 3g and only got 3 hours and 19 min of talk time compared to 8 with tmo. I use the web a lot with my iPhone and I would be made if the battery life was cut by 50 percent or more, especially because the battery isn't user replaceable!