new phone - what do i do

BigGameJames

Bronze
Nov 21, 2008
ok my speakers on my 3g right now are blown so i have to take it into best buy to get a new one. Since i have the insurance plan from best buy all i need to do is take my current one in with the box and everything that came with it and they will give me a new one right there.

So my question is what should i do with my phone before i take it in? back it up on iTunes? restore it since its jailbroken? write down the list of apps from cydia that i want and then restore it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Your "speakers are blown"? Forgive my disbelief, but I've never heard of this happening. There may be an easy fix for you. Try these steps (some are more obvious than others)

1. Make sure the silent switch on the top left side is not on (no orange dot)
2. Make sure the volume is all the way up using the volume rocker right below that
3. Plug in the earbuds and unplug them. Repeat a few times.
4. If none of those things work, try restarting the phone

Just make sure it's not this commonly-experienced condition before you go through the hassle of exchange.

Also... it's not just the "right speaker" is it? Because that's a microphone.

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
you should first back up the iPhone and then restore it.

BigGameJames

Bronze
Nov 21, 2008
ive already tried all those things

i think its because of this ringtone that i had for a while..one of those really high pitched tones

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Again, sorry for sounding like a know-it-all, but I really can't see how a ringtone could kill your speakers. Unless it was drastically loud (high patch shouldn't matter that much). But hey, stranger things have happened.

Could you tell us your symptoms exactly? When you hit the volume rocker with the phone on, does it say "ringer"?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
While I didn't have a complete blow out, the speakers in my first gen started crackling like crazy a few months after I got it on iDay 1.0.

Joe

BigGameJames

Bronze
Nov 21, 2008
its only 1 speaker that isn't working

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I see..... there is only one speaker on the iPhone. The other is a microphone. No need to exchange.

BigGameJames

Bronze
Nov 21, 2008
oh..did not know that

what would i do in the future if i needed to do this tho

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
you should first back up the iPhone and then restore it.

^^^ That pretty much sums it up. Backup the phone in iTunes, then restore it as a new device right before you take it back to Apple. When you get your new phone, you take it home and restore from your backup in iTunes.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
To clarify, high-pitched noises can blow out the iPhone's speaker. On my V1, I was using this app that made weird noises from Cydia (possibly Installer) that either blew out my speaker, or messed it up really badly somehow. Any sound that came out was highly distorted. Even after hard resets and restores. Took it to the Apple Store and it was replaced in < 5 minutes.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol, I was gona say there is no way you could blow the iPhones speaker except if you played a VERY VERY high pitch sound. don't forget its just one speaker that handles the bass/treb/highs lows and mids. Playing something with a high pitch does damage.

One of the things psy didn't mention was go to settings, Ipod, and in the volume options make sure the volume limit isn't set too low.

Also for the trillionth time.

On all iPhones the left speaker hole is a speaker, the hole on the right is the microphone!