new pictures - YouTube and Dock

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
This is probably a very stupid question but if the phone has Wi-Fi and the crappy EDGE stuff then why do we need a specific thing for YouTube? Can't we just go there via the connective programs we'll already have?

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
You mean...

This is probably a very stupid question but if the phone has Wi-Fi and the crappy EDGE stuff then why do we need a specific thing for YouTube? Can't we just go there via the connective programs we'll already have?
You mean Safari, right?
As I know, however, Safari on iPhone does NOT support Flash, and YouTube is running on Flash technology base. Therefore, we can watch YouTube video on Safari.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
cool stuff...now we have the infamous 12th app.

only 9 days!

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
About 10,000 YouTube clips have been converted to the h.264 protocol which is less processor intensive for mobile devices. They say "the remainder" will be converted in the fall. I dunno if they'll just convert on the fly as people post their vids in the future.

I don't know about you folks, but whenever I play a full screen YouTube video on my notebook, the cooling fans quickly come on full blast.

Chances are that Apple could have implemented Flash on the iPhone, but it would have quickly zapped the battery. Perhaps a future version of Flash will be more optimal.

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
This is nothing against Apple or the iPhone, but what is the big deal about youtube on your phone? The compressed quality is terrible on my 23 inch screen, and when i watch it on my nokia n80 which has a hi res display it is even worse, and i can barely make out the picture. Secondly, it's not even the full catalog, so i have to watch what youtube wants to show me, instead of what i want to see? Eventually when the full catalog is available, maybe i'll be happier, but right now i'm still disappointed. Maybe the h.264 quality will be better than the 3gp formats they currently use, so i'm still hoping. However, many of you will be extremely disappointed when you find out that it is near impossible to watch youtube on edge. i have just tried it and it buffers like you wouldn't even understand. wifi however is great!

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
i am so aditced to youtube!:p

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
This is nothing against Apple or the iPhone, but what is the big deal about youtube on your phone? The compressed quality is terrible on my 23 inch screen, and when i watch it on my nokia n80 which has a hi res display it is even worse, and i can barely make out the picture. Secondly, it's not even the full catalog, so i have to watch what youtube wants to show me, instead of what i want to see? Eventually when the full catalog is available, maybe i'll be happier, but right now i'm still disappointed. Maybe the h.264 quality will be better than the 3gp formats they currently use, so i'm still hoping. However, many of you will be extremely disappointed when you find out that it is near impossible to watch youtube on edge. i have just tried it and it buffers like you wouldn't even understand. wifi however is great!
I just hope you can customize the home screen's widgets / shortcuts / icons, whatever... Lose the stocks, lose the youtube. lol

7up

Jun 20, 2007
really nice,.. thank you for that one..

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Thank God for youtube. How else could we get our fix of BullDogs riding skateboards mid day?

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Does iPhone not support Flash at all? Or just just Flash Video (.flv)?

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Does iPhone not support Flash at all? Or just just Flash Video (.flv)?
Well for AppleTv Youtube started encoding there videos in H.264 so the iPhone doesn't have to do flash I am sure it is using that codec but yes I phone it does do Flash but so far no evidence of that.