New Rebates?

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
At least one source says those with first gen iPhones may be able to trade up to the 3G iPhones.

"AT&T, which is the exclusive US provider of iPhone service, said clients will get a refund for the price difference."

This may be the "tipping point" to make me get a new iPhone.

(Note; Link wasn't working. Cantwait4iPhone posted the entire article below.)

May 6, 2007
United States
Found the link, and it mentions that those who bought it for $399 or $499 MAY get a rebate, so it doesn't appear to apply to those who bought at the original price.

From Scottrade.com:
June 12, 2008 (FinancialWire) Customers who bought Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL) (current Market Cap: US$159.41 Bil.) $499 or $399 iPhone at AT&T (NYSE: T) stores may be able to exchange the handset for the faster, less expensive new model and get a rebate.
AT&T, which is the exclusive US provider of iPhone service, said clients will get a refund for the price difference. Cupertino-based Apple said it sold more than 6 million of the devices since their debut one year ago, when the 8-gigabyte model sold for $399 and the 16-gigabyte model sold for $499.
Earlier this week Apple unveiled its latest iPhone version, which features faster Internet speeds and built-in GPS capabilities and starts at $199 for an 8GB model and $299 for a 16GB model.
In a move to fight hackers who have managed to unlock the phone and use it on other networks, Apple said the phone will be sold in more countries with authorized dealers, and buyers will have to activate service with AT&T before leaving a US store with an iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I personally don't think that they'll offer any rebates or trade-in programs, althought it may be in AT&T's best interest. They'd get their money out of you in the long run, with the more expensive data plan.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
AT&T customer service 800# told me there is no discount or rebate, but that was just one person, sometimes you call again and someone else gives you a whole different answer.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think I hate about these "news" is that there usually look so legit thats it hard to figure out whats obviously a rumor and what might be fact. Especially when a financial source say that their will be rebates, but then you At&t yourself and they say the exact opposite :mad:

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for checking.

Given that AT&T would probably rather have a customer...
1) extend his/her contract another year
2) pay $10 more a month in fees
3) NOT sell his old iPhone on eBay to someone who might jail break it for use on someone else's network
It seems like a smart businesss move.

setritt

Sep 6, 2007
yes to the refund (with requirements...)

AT&T is giving out rebates - but it is as follows:

1) you must have purchased v.1 of the iPhone after may 27th
2) you must exchange it for the 3g iPhone between july 11th and august 1st
3) you will get the price difference minus a 10% restocking fee

i confirmed this over the phone with an AT&T rep as well as at the store.

i asked the rep at the store what happens if i 'lost' the charger from the v.1 iPhone. he then said that it didn't matter because a 10% restocking fee is charged regardless of whether or not all pieces and accessories are returned with the phone. just an idea but the extra charger is worth $30 so that'll recoup some of the 10% restocking fee - not to mention the charger from the 1st iPhone version looks to be much nicer and more functional than the second one (which looks like one of those three prong to two prong outlet adapters)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
not to mention the charger from the 1st iPhone version looks to be much nicer and more functional than the second one (which looks like one of those three prong to two prong outlet adapters)
Will the V1 adapter work with the V2 phone? Better make sure.:)

setritt

Sep 6, 2007
i'm not sure - but i can't imagine that it won't since i use the v1 charger to charge my ipod mini

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
i'm not sure - but i can't imagine that it won't since i use the v1 charger to charge my ipod mini
Wow man! Your mini still works:laugh2:
-Everyone I knew including myself who owned an iPod mini, are broken and have been broken for a while. I think it was a general problem with it having a harddrive, but since it was so small and portable you just wanna take with you everywhere :)

Last edited by a moderator: