"New screenshots of iPad apps start to make this thing seem less like a giant iPhone"

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Take a look at Apple's Guided Tour for the iWork applications. :) That alone would sell me (and has).

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I think people over reacted about it being a giant iPod touch. I don't see why, through the use of apps, it won't be able to do just about everything a full OS could do. And thanks to each app being well thought out and worked on individually, it will work better than any dummied down touch screen OS on any other device.

Magicman4131

Bronze
Jul 25, 2009
California
iWork look amazing a major reason I want it too. Can't wait to play with it myself. The videos didn't show it in detail. If it has no printing capabilities unless you download an app I will be pissed. Otherwise can't wait to get an ipad and get iWork. Totally worth the $30.

mattyi

Bronze
Mar 13, 2010
Canton, MA
I think people over reacted about it being a giant iPod touch.
I totally hear you. I think it's because people think they need a full computer to do most of the things that they want to do, and that's simply not the case.

If anything, the enhanced capability and bandwidth of a desktop or laptop actually encourages developers to build things that do more than most people need, and take up more space and processor/memory bandwidth to boot. For instance, nobody uses all of the features in Photoshop. For most, Photoshop Elements is all you need.

The fleet of lightweight apps that will do exactly what people really need them to do will be astounding. Not to mention what new interactions people will create by having the extra flexibility of the touchscreen.

I'm really, really excited to see what happens. The Apple software and the programs in this link are only scratching the surface. :)

Greggers

Feb 15, 2010
Greenville, SC
The fleet of lightweight apps that will do exactly what people really need them to do will be astounding. Not to mention what new interactions people will create by having the extra flexibility of the touchscreen.

I'm really, really excited to see what happens. The Apple software and the programs in this link are only scratching the surface. :)
This seems to be the same approach Apple has been taking with most of its consumer software/devices of late (e.g.: newset versions iMovie, and the desktop publishing mode in Pages). I've all but replaced illustrator in my workflow with those features of Pages, and I suspect that the the iPad versions of most productivity software will be more than enough for most people.

Mar 31, 2010
I totally hear you. I think it's because people think they need a full computer to do most of the things that they want to do, and that's simply not the case.

If anything, the enhanced capability and bandwidth of a desktop or laptop actually encourages developers to build things that do more than most people need, and take up more space and processor/memory bandwidth to boot. For instance, nobody uses all of the features in Photoshop. For most, Photoshop Elements is all you need.

The big failing of the iPad compared to a full PC is one thing, multi-tasking. Hopefully this will be resolved. Don't underestimate how annoying it will be to lose your place in one app simply because you want to switch to another. Lot's of examples come to mind.