New "Song Sender" software...email MP3s from iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
In the Installer.app, there's a new program called "Song Sender". It lets you go through your MP3s and either email the MP3 somewhere, or use it as a ringtone. I tried it and it worked flawlessly....a great way to get a song off your iPhone when you're not at your home computer.

Installer.app is a third party software program that allows you to download other new software directly to your phone. Highly recommended! Just google it.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
interesting, how long does it take per song, ive been delaying attaching my phone to the computer b/c my harddrive got wiped and id lose all my music

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
In the Installer.app, there's a new program called "Song Sender". It lets you go through your MP3s and either email the MP3 somewhere, or use it as a ringtone. I tried it and it worked flawlessly....a great way to get a song off your iPhone when you're not at your home computer.
I tried this and the mail just gets stuck on sending and freezes and eventually closes..I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but to no avail.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I tried this and the mail just gets stuck on sending and freezes and eventually closes..I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but to no avail.
Yeah well it's got a lot of data to send. Just put your phone to sleep or do something else and it will continue sending in the background. I thought mine had frozen too so I just put the phone to sleep but then like an hour later I went to my sentbox and it had been sent. Of course, it might have taken a lot less than an hour, that's just when I checked it next.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I sent a song to my sister, and she sent me one to test things out.

What we discovered:

DRM Songs won't play on other devices, Duh. Well she didn't know.

DRM-Free songs worked fine, just download to your desktop and iTunes typically takes over by adding it to your library with the proper name and album art.

I haven't figured out a way to play the shared songs on the iPhone without use of a Desktop. I don't know if that's possible, or even the point, but I tried anyway and the Mail.app doesn't hot link the file, and Gmail via Safari didn't launch QT either.

I've had no luck getting this application to actually send a song to my ringtones yet, I've tried like 3 times and nothing ever shows up in my menu. I'll give it another go tonight.

Anyway, this is a pretty cool application.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
In the Installer.app, there's a new program called "Song Sender". It lets you go through your MP3s and either email the MP3 somewhere, or use it as a ringtone.
Did you actually get the send to ringtone function working? I've not had any luck with that so far and it's really the only part of Song Sender I care about. Since I don't do Windows or have an Intel Mac Installer.app is pretty much my only choice. I'm just hoping other app makers put their stuff out there for this so even more people can enjoy them.

Now who's going to make a ToDo app and Solitaire?!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Did you actually get the send to ringtone function working? I've not had any luck with that so far and it's really the only part of Song Sender I care about. Since I don't do Windows or have an Intel Mac Installer.app is pretty much my only choice. I'm just hoping other app makers put their stuff out there for this so even more people can enjoy them.

Now who's going to make a ToDo app and Solitaire?!
I haven't tried that yet. First of all, I don't like the way it names the file and I don't want an ugly file name in my ringtones. Second, I just use iPhoneRingToneMaker because I can edit the ringtone down to the thirty second clip that I want while Song Sender I'm sure just makes the whole song the ring tone.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
I haven't tried that yet. First of all, I don't like the way it names the file and I don't want an ugly file name in my ringtones. Second, I just use iPhoneRingToneMaker because I can edit the ringtone down to the thirty second clip that I want while Song Sender I'm sure just makes the whole song the ring tone.

but with this method you don't have to connect your phone to the mac/PC and jailbreak it, reboot etc.... everytime:laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
but with this method you don't have to connect your phone to the mac/PC and jailbreak it, reboot etc.... everytime:laugh2:
You're right, that is annoying. Hopefully they'll update it so you can choose a 30 second clip from the song and also choose how it is displayed in your ringtone list.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You're right, that is annoying. Hopefully they'll update it so you can choose a 30 second clip from the song and also choose how it is displayed in your ringtone list.
yes, as it is it's not too useful. Plus I like to increase the volume of MP3s I use as ringtones, and will also often adjust my 25 second clips so that they start out loud (i.e., some songs have a low-volume intro that I would rather not have as part of my ringtone). Hope this made sense...

--
Mike

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but there is a similar App Store app also called SongSender. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/songsender/id385229328?mt=8
Here's one of the reviews for that app that shows you it really isn't the same:

Doesn't transfer music
by flybynite11

The email and text functions of this app just send the name of the song selected. It does not actually email the song file to the recipient which would allow the song to be played on the receiving end. Its a big waste of money!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
And while we're on this subject, I just looked for this app in Cydia and it seems it's disappeared. Are they any other programs like this that will allow you to email & MMS the actual song to others?

Aug 9, 2010
Maybe the creator of the jailbreak app either got a cease and decist order, or they realized the legal implications of their app. In addition, I said it was similar, not the actual app. Apple would never allow anything illegal to make it through the review process.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I know you said "similar" but when I went in this thread I was excited that it would possibly send the song but it doesn't. Sending a person a list of your songs is pretty much useless to me, I'm not sure about everyone else.