New storage tiers are killing resell value

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Ok so first things first. This isn't a troll post and not bitching here. More of just an observation.

So first off I have to explain my situation.
I'm with Verizon and have 2 lines. The other line is just used for an upgrade. ( I gift the phone to my main line on off years.

So in the past I've bought the new phone at the subsidized price and sold my year old phone for roughly $50-$100 cheaper than subsidized price of the new one. Great way to get a new iPhone every year on the cheap.

So this year because of the change in GB tiers
16GB, 64GB, 128GB last year to 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB this year, I'm expecting get less this year as the 128GB tier is the middle option this year. Nobody is going to pay $400-$450 for a yr old phone when the new one at the same GB model is already $400 (subsidized)

Guess it's the price you gotta pay for advancement in storage. Oh well, still stoked to get my new 256GB Jet Black 7+.

And for the record I am excited about the storage being upgraded. Should have happened last yr. and soo glad they dropped the 16GB model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 8, 2010
You are selling your phones for too cheap and killing the secondary market price technically.

You don't sell your phones for less than subsidized pricing. The reason for that is because subsidized price requires a contract and you aren't a contract provider so you sell for less than full price but much over subsidized pricing.

Once I get my new iPhone 7 plus 128gb I will be selling my 6S Plus 64gb for $600.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Probably about $600-$650. Surprisingly the 128gb has been selling for around the same price as the 64gb on the secondary market.
You may have misread her post and thought she said 6s Plus. I just watched an AT&T 128 GB 6 Plus sell for $395 on eBay.
Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 8.01.51 PM.png

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thank you both! I've never tried to resell one so I wasn't sure.
I've had great results with craigslist. It takes me about five or ten minutes to post a phone each year and I typically have them sold within a few hours. I always get about $100 more than gazelle offers. You can meet the buyer in a public place. The phones pretty much sell themselves, but be sure to take photos in good lighting outside of your case to ensure a quick sale.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
You could sell a 6 Plus for about $400 right now if it's unlocked. Otherwise, it would be worth slightly less.
Thank you for being more realistic. Yes you might me able to get 600 but with the market about to be flooded ya might be sitting on it for a bit. Personally I sell mine cheaper because I'm not in this to make money. I've sold mine to the same single mom for the past 3yrs. She gets a great deal on a phone for her son and I get my phone for relatively free. Win! Win! And the karma feels better.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Had great results with Craigslist as well. Usually meet at a Starbucks but also your carrier's store is always a good spot. That way they can run the ESN to make sure the buyer knows it's not stolen.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
You can also check out eBay. They will quote you a guaranteed sale price. Search "sell iPhone" and it should pop up for you. It seems like over the weekend my 2 year old iPhone 6 unlocked 64GB without box or accessories actually went up in price. Sadly, I do have a few tiny scratches by the lightning port or I could get even more. I'm doing a quick sale to their valet service which guarantees me what I consider a fair amount and all I have to do is send them the phone. It's not as much as I could get if I did the work myself, but I don't have to do the work myself!