New symbol?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by jareknyc, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

Hey guys what does this little moon mean? Never seen it bf ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1415910805.241903.jpg

2. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I would think that is App Specific... and typically that means sleep or something like that. At least in one of the email clients i use. That's what it stands for. It might help if we knew what App you were using.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The moon is the icon used for Do Not Disturb mode. It silences all notifications and phone calls but alarms still sound.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

As good as Do Not Disturb is (and I use it every night to stop annoying emails) it can cause a problem for a lot of people who accidentally enable it. My gran owns an iPad Mini and lives an hour or so away from the rest of the family and she relies on FaceTime to speak to people. DND was enabled and it completely blocked all FaceTime calls. Massive pain and confusion caused for an 80+ year old. I know there is a status bar image, but I do think a reminder should pop-up to let the user know that DND is still enabled. Or only let DND operate within a schedule, or at very least let it time out after a certain amount of time.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can set a schedule for DND, but forcing it to only work in that mode for the sake of those who are technically inexperienced probably isn't the best solution. I think most people who use it understand how it works and would be annoyed by popups. Timing out would then result in them being disturbed when Do Not Disturb was on. I understand that some new users accidentally enable it and don't notice the symbol or research what it is, but catering to this small group by making DND not work as it's intended (automatically timing out) would be wrong and make the feature somewhat worthless. Maybe a super-simple mode (to prevent accidental activation of features like DND) for those who aren't technically adept would be a good solution. Every time they did something, it would explain it and ask if they really wanted to do it. That would be annoying to most of us, but not to them. They want to understand what they are doing.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I know I'd get annoyed by pop-ups as well but it was just an option, maybe something which could be disabled by the user. With the timer it could go two ways, one way being that when DND is enabled you pre-define how long to enable it for i.e 3 hours. The other way you enable DND at a default time of say 2 hours and it times out when you're at work or something and your phone goes off... annoying and potentially gets you in trouble.

Schedules are by far the best way of handling this and you don't particularly have to be an experienced user. Schedules require a one time setup which lasts for as long as you need it. I have DND enabled from 2330-0630 every day, only allowing calls from favourites, never needed to change it once.

DND is a great feature, I just think there could be better options in way of control.

P.S I'd click agree or like but I don't appear to have the buttons to press them? I'll jump on the app in a mo :p