New to 3G

ghostball

Mar 24, 2009
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a 3G in USA but it will mainly be used in Thailand. I knew that I need to unlock the phone first so that it can be used with a service provider in Thailand. However, I found that Ebay sells some 3G unlocked, is it too risky to buy from Ebay?

Can I also follow a jailbreak process provided by some experts here even though the phone is not in USA?

Thanks,

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Isn't the phone available in Thailand?
If not, then I would suggest contacting Apple about the situation. I bet that they might be able to sell you the phone at full price unlocked.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Also i would check that the App Store is available in Thailand, 'because if not, it would be quite pointless.

I saw in the 3.0 speech that the iPhone was being made available in more countries, and with the new iPhone likely to be release in June, i would wait and get one then...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Don't buy a 3G in the US to bring to Thailand! They are already sold factory unlocked in Thailand according to this official list from Apple (the 3rd column indicates lock status for each country). This way, you won't have to worry about buying an iPhone in the U.S. that may already come with the 2.2.1 firmware that cannot be unlocked with software yet. Buying an unlocked one in Thailand will get you an iPhone that can be upgraded to the new firmware without re-locking it and it will probably be more valuable if/when you re-sell it.