New to iPhone and looking for tethering options

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 13, 2013
Hi there, Old Android user here and i heard good things about the iPhones so i came to the dark side. Anyways i searched for a bit and it looks like if i want to use my PDANET (on Android) i have to jailbreak my phone. I really don't want to do that as i searched that out and some people were having problems with it working right.

Is there any other options for tethering my PC laptop while on vacation?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Hi there, Old Android user here and i heard good things about the iPhones so i came to the dark side. Anyways i searched for a bit and it looks like if i want to use my PDANET (on Android) i have to jailbreak my phone. I really don't want to do that as i searched that out and some people were having problems with it working right.

Is there any other options for tethering my PC laptop while on vacation?
Yes, if you have a family data shared plan, thetering is included at no additional cost with AT&T

k62

Jun 11, 2013
I ve got the unlimited data packages .
But since I have that I can t get tethering or the sync options on my phone ,anyone else know how I can get wifi from my phone

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I ve got the unlimited data packages .
But since I have that I can t get tethering or the sync options on my phone ,anyone else know how I can get wifi from my phone
If you don't want to give up unlimited data (which isn't truly unlimited), you'd have to jailbreak and use an unofficial tethering app. However, you may not be able to jailbreak - it depends on which firmware version you're running.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Also, depending on your usage, it's possible AT&T can detect/guess you are tethering via jailbreak and force you to change plans.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
True. If you are going to use unofficial tethering, you'll need to keep the overall data usage under about 3 GB/month to stay under the radar. Otherwise you run the risk of getting thrown into a capped plan. This could happen if you use less than 3 GB/month, but it's much less likely.