New to iPhone lots of questions

brettw903

May 16, 2009
Ok, I'm new to all this and need a few questions answered. I'm picking up my 16gb 3g tomorrow and I had a few questions. I read the sticky about the 3.0 update. Is there a set date for the release of the full version of 3.0 yet? And where can I download the beta, and does the beta have landscape txt on it? Last question, I promise lol. Dumb question but once I figure out how to download the 3.0 beta how do I upload it to the phone. Thanks a lot guys.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
You have to be registered as a developer to install the beta software. There's a few guys around that are willing to add people to their list. Once you are added you can download the software from a torrent or your devolper can hook you up. Once you have the firmware downloaded you need to install iTunes 8.2 prerelease to update the forward on your phone. When it's installed hold shift (ctrl?) and click check for update. Then select the file you downloaded (beta software) and voilà all set. Make sure you download the proper firmware. Should strt with iPhone 1,2 if you hav a 3G. It does have landscape text email and notes. The official release date hasn't been set but rumors are for June or July. Pm me I have open devolper spots if you are interested. I'm out of town but I'll check here via my iPhone :D (this thing is the best thing since sliced bread btw )

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Ok, I'm new to all this and need a few questions answered. I'm picking up my 16gb 3g tomorrow and I had a few questions. I read the sticky about the 3.0 update. Is there a set date for the release of the full version of 3.0 yet? And where can I download the beta, and does the beta have landscape txt on it? Last question, I promise lol. Dumb question but once I figure out how to download the 3.0 beta how do I upload it to the phone. Thanks a lot guys.
^^^There's a dev who will help you out and I did forget about iTunes 8.2 which was required for the last two beta releases.

There is nothing further than "this summer" for the final 3.0 release date. The beta can be found almost anywhere through a google search, but you MUST be registered through a developer to be able to use the beta. Some people sell spots for your phone to be registered (every developer gets 100 to use) and some give the spots out for free. There are some developers on here who will add you and send you the file. Yes it has landscape text, email, notes, etc. If and when you get registered by a developer maybe they will send you the beta file which is on beta 5 now. When a beta is released it has a limited life span and expires eventually(leaving your phone at a pink "expired" beta screen), so you have to keep up with the updates. To load the beta to your phone you hold shift(option on a mac) and click update or restore and select the beta firmware then let iTunes do it's thing.

brettw903

May 16, 2009
wow, most of that went right over my head lol...So I need to go ahead and download iTunes 8.2. Then, upload the beta software from iTunes to the iPhone right? And what do you mean by I need all the latest firmware? Are you just talking about the latest iPhone update? You guys are a lot of help, I'm so excited lol I can't wait til the morning, it feels like christmas

brettw903

May 16, 2009
You have to be registered as a developer to install the beta software. There's a few guys around that are willing to add people to their list. Once you are added you can download the software from a torrent or your devolper can hook you up. Once you have the firmware downloaded you need to install iTunes 8.2 prerelease to update the forward on your phone. When it's installed hold shift (ctrl?) and click check for update. Then select the file you downloaded (beta software) and voilà all set. Make sure you download the proper firmware. Should strt with iPhone 1,2 if you hav a 3G. It does have landscape text email and notes. The official release date hasn't been set but rumors are for June or July. Pm me I have open devolper spots if you are interested. I'm out of town but I'll check here via my iPhone :D (this thing is the best thing since sliced bread btw )
I tried to pm you twice, but my outbox says it didn't send. So sorry if you have two messages. Thanks

brettw903

May 16, 2009
I just got the iTunes 8.2, now all i need is beta 5

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
...and to be added to a dev. license or it will lock your phone up if you don't.

brettw903

May 16, 2009
So do you think I might as well just save the trouble and wait til june for the real update?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
So do you think I might as well just save the trouble and wait til june for the real update?
Yes. I would save myself the trouble if I were you. Enjoy your phone now and then when the update comes you'll be able to see a difference :)