New to iPhone need some guidance

Sep 19, 2009
I just got my iPhone today and I love it. Also new to the forums. Need some info on how to download apps directly to the phone without using a PC and how to use BN eReader. I had an account with the ereader with my blackberry, but how do I retain my purchases from before?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
You need to set your iTunes account to the app store on the computer first. You can then download apps directly to the phone...there is an app store icon on the phone. Look for the reader in the app store as there is a version for iPhone. You should still have access to your previously purchased material once you set up the reader on the phone and access your account. You can download over 3G (less than 10mb) or over wireless (no size limit). Apps usually do fine downloading over 3G, it is usually the updates that are too large and sometimes have to be done via the computer and your iTunes. Apps you download are transferred to your iTunes on your next sync and can always be redownloaded for free after you purchase.
Welcome to the forums and the world of iPhone. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Set iTunes up on your computer first. After that, you can install apps directly to the phone from the App Store app. If they are greater than 10 MB, you'll have to use WiFi rather than 3G, and if they are very large (like TomTom), you'll want to download them on your computer and then sync them onto the phone. To download on the phone, open the app store icon, find and app you want, click purchase, and put in your iTunes user name and password. You'll only have to add the user name once, all subsequent purchases will just require your password.

The Barnes and Noble purchases should be in your B&N eReader account. The books you've purchased will be viewable on whatever device you want to use (PC, Mac, Blackberry, iPhone, etc) since they are stored in your eBooks library. Just install the app and put in your account info.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
We must have been typing at the same time Europa lol.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep ;) ......

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks so much for the advice. It worked like a charm. Those were the only two things that I was having problems with. Now everyhing is perfect. I'm so excited about all the things I fan do now that I really couldn't do with my blackberry. Thanks again.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Glad you got it worked out Dwayne. You will find plenty of help around here when and if you need it.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I'm pretty sure if you have iPhone OS 3.x, that you can set up your app store account/iTunes Store account on the phone. There is rarely a need to connect the phone to iTunes to get apps (although with iTunes 9 it's sweet that I can manage the placement of icons via iTunes).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm pretty sure if you have iPhone OS 3.x, that you can set up your app store account/iTunes Store account on the phone. There is rarely a need to connect the phone to iTunes to get apps (although with iTunes 9 it's sweet that I can manage the placement of icons via iTunes).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Downloading apps directly onto the phone from the App Store has been available since 2.0. If they are greater than 10 MB, you can't download them over 3G (at least I think they are still doing that), you have to use WiFi. However, with very large apps that are hundreds of MB or over 1 GB, it's usually best to download them on iTunes on the computer and then sync them onto the phone.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Downloading apps directly onto the phone from the App Store has been available since 2.0. If they are greater than 10 MB, you can't download them over 3G (at least I think they are still doing that), you have to use WiFi. However, with very large apps that are hundreds of MB or over 1 GB, it's usually best to download them on iTunes on the computer and then sync them onto the phone.
I think you are misunderstanding me, and I you. I'm referring to the fact that you don't have to set up your iTunes account on the computer first, that you can log into your account on the phone with 3.x.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oh ok. I just don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to set it up in iTunes on the computer though. You'll need to have it set before you can sync iTunes media purchased on the phone onto the computer so it can back it up, right?