New to Jailbreaking! sorry got a quick question

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
I just got done jailbreaking my iPhone 3g. I have the latest firmware on the phone and the latest software update for iTunes. My question is can i still sync my iPhone and not effect anything. Also sometimes when i sync my iPhone it backs up the phone. Will this back-up the phone with the jailbroken software loaded? I am really sorry if this has been gone over many times but i did try searching and didn't really come up with any exact answers. Thanks guys

I just got done jailbreaking my iPhone 3g. I have the latest firmware on the phone and the latest software update for iTunes. My question is can i still sync my iPhone and not effect anything. Also sometimes when i sync my iPhone it backs up the phone. Will this back-up the phone with the jailbroken software loaded? I am really sorry if this has been gone over many times but i did try searching and didn't really come up with any exact answers. Thanks guys
Yes u can sync your iPhone with iTunes .. but i wud suggest u don't update your iPhone as i heard updating causes a few applications tht u installed, using cydia, to stop working.. and i think if u back up your iPhone u will have to jail-break it again .. so don't perform a back up either..

since u already have the latest firmware.. i don't think u need to update it ..

I hope that helped.. :)

you can sync as normal... and you can backup as well... backing up will not effect your jailbreak at all... backing up will just backup the apps you have from the app store, contacts, music and pics... so go ahead and backup...
however, do not update the phone

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You may sync your phone to your computer in its jailbroken status as much as you want. If you want to update to new firmware, you need to restore to stock first to be safe.

However, if you restore the phone for any reason , you should not restore from your "jailbroken" backup, as it will cause problems. You need to restore it as a new device. Be sure to sync your contacts/calendar/bookmarks to external programs or services so can get them back after this type of restore.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I did restore using a JB'ed backup.

However, if you restore the phone for any reason , you should not restore from your "jailbroken" backup, as it will cause problems.
Dave--Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I religiously backup (and sync) my JB'ed 3G iPhone with iTunes. A while back, I had to do a complete restore from scratch, back to the original Apple factory image. I re-jailbreaked, then restored from a backup from my previously backed-up JB'ed iPhone (from the night before).

It worked like a champ. All my settings (WiFi WEP code, bookmarks, cookies, SMS messages, app data, wallpaper, alarm clock settings, photos, stocks, weather, etc.) were restored.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, lots of people do that. If you're not upgrading your firmware, I suppose that could work without issues.

I just like to play it safe and clean house fully each time. And I think that it's essential if you're going up in firmware, or plan on staying stock, to restore as a new device. It's probably overkill for any other situation, though. Good point.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the thing is the backup saves all of your settings, and a lot of files changed by jailbreaking. Presumably, if you're restoring, you have some kind of problem you're trying to fix, and reloading all of your previous settings and files COULD leave you with the same (or more) problems. So, to be safe, it's recommended to restore as a new iPhone.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
wow you guys are great. Thank you so much for the fast responses. I feel a lot better now.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
is there a way to stop iTunes from backing up your phone. I have a good back up file on here without any jailbroken stuff done.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, but you can save that backup file in another location, and put it back when you want to restore.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, you can cancel a backup when you sync by hitting the little grey x to the right of the status window in iTunes when it says it's taking the backup. The rest of the sync will continue as normal.

Otherwise, do what Hippo just beat me to saying.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Although, hippo... I think the folder on PC is this:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

The files in the folder you indicated are too small to be a full iPhone backup.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
maybe it's outdated... been too long since i looked on a windows computer.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
im running an imac these days. any ideas where it is on that

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

wait a sec... doesn't seem to be there anymore...

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
yeah i just tried that lol

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ok, it's

Users/USER NAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

sorry bout that.