new to the board, wondering about third party apps

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i've had my iPhone for about a month and a half and just jailbroke it using ziPhone. everything works fine, i am just trying to figure out what applications to run. should i just download ones from the ziPhone installer, if so which ones would any of you recommend? i see tons of different apps here on the board, but i'm not sure what to get. i want to customize my screen where the icons are, download cool and fun apps, and really want to get something where i can zoom with the camera. if anyone has any recommendations i would really appreciate it. glad i found the board, i have been reading about stuff all day for my iPhone and macbook pro. thanks in advance

mike

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, you definitely need Summerboard. It will allow you to use themes that will change your icons and wallpaper. You may also want to check out customize, which has further customizing options.

Not 100% sure, but Camera Pro may have digital zoom capabilities.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
well, you definitely need Summerboard. It will allow you to use themes that will change your icons and wallpaper. You may also want to check out customize, which has further customizing options.

Not 100% sure, but Camera Pro may have digital zoom capabilities.
Yep, Camera Pro does have zoom capabilities, however the farther you zoom, the blurrier the image becomes.

Welcome to the forums!

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, such is the nature of digital zoom, unfortunately.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Welcome to EIC! My personal favorite fun app is wallpaper by iapp a day. Summerboard and customize are also a blast.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i tried to download customize from ziPhone apps and it comes up with an error - this version of customize requires firmware 1.1.[123]. anyone know what this means and more importantly how to fix it?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Yep, Camera Pro does have zoom capabilities, however the farther you zoom, the blurrier the image becomes.

Welcome to the forums!

- John
With the one I have I'm not noticing these problems. More of little faint lines appearing in the pictures. I took pictures of someone getting evicted yesterday. :laugh2:

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
u should also try clownfish batery slider. Its an eazy custom
app. Skecht is also a good one.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Welcome to EIC! My personal favorite fun app is wallpaper by iapp a day. Summerboard and customize are also a blast.
what does this app do? sounds interesting..

As far as applications that i have found useful and stable:

Games:
iZoo (its like the game bejeweled)
4Balls (Connect 4 board game)
SuperPong
BlockPuzzle (I dunno if you have ever played the game taxi where you have pieces on the board that slide on grooves and you need to move them around so that your taxi piece can move out of the puzzle...)
FiveDice (Yatzee)
Garf (Simon Says)
Pool (Pool)
iSolitaire (Solitaire)
Then some great apps are Drummer, Pianist and Guitarist, which simulate those instruments so you can play them on your phone..

Also i enjoy Tris (Tetris) and iCopter (a game where you need to move your helicopter up and down to avoid the walls which you can crash into)

Other applications i use are:
Definently summerboard, must have
Categories, allows you to sort your applications into folders so you don't have everything on your pages...bring some organization to your phone)
Poof - lets you hide applications that you never use
Apollo (application that lets you use aim and other services (not yahoo). Its a bit unstable but not for the phone, it just sometimes closes down...but if thats the price to pay for aim, i'm fine with it. The other program that does this is MobileChat, but i found this to close way too much, though i like the interface better. Reminder though, if you install this application you need to download the IM Fix as well so you can log into your accounts.)
IMGrab (lets you get images off of safari and puts them in your camera roll)
Splitter - good for when you go out for dinner with some people and you want to split the tab

and lastly
weTool - lets you manage your SMS, phone calls etc.. (deleting certain phone calls and texts or whatever your heart pleases).

Hope this was helpful

Jul 14, 2007
what does this app do? sounds interesting..

As far as applications that i have found useful and stable:

Games:
iZoo (its like the game bejeweled)
4Balls (Connect 4 board game)
SuperPong
BlockPuzzle (I dunno if you have ever played the game taxi where you have pieces on the board that slide on grooves and you need to move them around so that your taxi piece can move out of the puzzle...)
FiveDice (Yatzee)
Garf (Simon Says)
Pool (Pool)
iSolitaire (Solitaire)
Then some great apps are Drummer, Pianist and Guitarist, which simulate those instruments so you can play them on your phone..

Also i enjoy Tris (Tetris) and iCopter (a game where you need to move your helicopter up and down to avoid the walls which you can crash into)

Other applications i use are:
Definently summerboard, must have
Categories, allows you to sort your applications into folders so you don't have everything on your pages...bring some organization to your phone)
Poof - lets you hide applications that you never use

Hope this was helpful

wow this is greatt. and i 100% agree with you because every app u mentioned i have haha

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
wow this is greatt. and i 100% agree with you because every app u mentioned i have haha
haha yeah, i'm glad it was helpful. I have tried a lot of applications and have uninstalled most of them, but these have stuck through.

A couple more that i thought were good but i just haven't found much use for them so i uninstalled:
MobileToDoList2 (i MobileToDoList didn't work for me and MobileToDoList2 did, oh well)
Camera Pro

I didn't list NES (lets you play games like super mario etc) because its a bit more complicated to get that working and if you just jailbroke i was going to stay just get those other games going first.

And i'd stay away from customize if you 1.1.3/1.1.4, i've always had problems with it and even the new 2.0 beta was making my phone bug out so i uninstalled that as well.

I edited my previous post with some more applications i had and forgot about

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
hey guys thanks for the replies, i have been trying to figure out how to get customize to work for most of the night. i'm sure you all know but it is a little tricky because you have to trick your phone into thinking it is running 1.1.3 or something to get it to work. after watching numerous vids on youtube about it i found this one that helped me a lot.

i'm customizing away now, basically just trial and error and getting good apps as well. it feels like i just got a new phone essentially, damn i love this thing. i'm interested to see what the next software update comes out with, i can't imagine it being much better than what i have right now.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
wallpaper is a app that shows a continuouse stream of wallpapers from everyone that has the app open so if u see one pas by that u like, u just click it and add it to your library. Its. Great way to get wallpapers on the go.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
wallpaper is a app that shows a continuouse stream of wallpapers from everyone that has the app open so if u see one pas by that u like, u just click it and add it to your library. Its. Great way to get wallpapers on the go.
got it, sounds great, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and download it.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Probably a question that has already been answered, but I haven't found it yet....

When you choose 'Uninstall' in the Installer, does it do a clean sweep (like AppZapper on the mac or the NeatFreak suite on the Palm) and get rid of the application and all related files/preferences? Or does this stuff just sit around all over the place? And if so, is there a cleaner uninstall process available?