New to the forum and need a little info, I have a 3G JB

maachuu

Jul 14, 2009
and I am considering putting the back to original state. I would like to know if someone can point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to put my phone back to original firmware, I would like to go back to the firmware before 3.0 as when I upgraded I lost my internet due to the fact that I don't have an iPhone data plan, just the medianet that I had on my LG Vu

any and all help greatly appreciated

maachuu

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I will give a tutorial right here in this thread :)

1) download 2.2.1 firmware
2) plug device into computer and open iTunes. make sure u have the latest version
3) SYNC IT! MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS BACKED UP! I recommend syncing contects to windows contacts (vista), windows address book (xp), or address book (mac).
4) Under the divice list, click on your phone. This should bring up the summary screen that displays info such as Serial #, Phone #, iPhone's "name", and storage capacity
5) Click shift+restore (or "option+restore" for mac). Locate the firmware that you downloaded.
6)Follow prompts.
7) Once phone is restored, a screen will come up saying "set up as new phone" or "restore from backup of (insert phone name here)." Chose the restore from backup one. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE RIGHT BACKUP!
8) Sync music, vids, apps, etc.
9) Enjoy 2.2.1, I guess.....

Here is a link to download the firmware for the phone. It is version 2.2.1

Click Here

Good Luck :)

maachuu

Jul 14, 2009
thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to do the tutorial

thanks again

maachuu

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
I do believe that every update mean for improvement although some are only for fixing bugs. I would say Firmware 2.2.1 is stable but 3.0 is absolutely rock!

maachuu

Jul 14, 2009
I will give a tutorial right here in this thread :)

1) download 2.2.1 firmware
2) plug device into computer and open iTunes. make sure u have the latest version
3) SYNC IT! MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS BACKED UP! I recommend syncing contects to windows contacts (vista), windows address book (xp), or address book (mac).
4) Under the divice list, click on your phone. This should bring up the summary screen that displays info such as Serial #, Phone #, iPhone's "name", and storage capacity
5) Click shift+restore (or "option+restore" for mac). Locate the firmware that you downloaded.
6)Follow prompts.
7) Once phone is restored, a screen will come up saying "set up as new phone" or "restore from backup of (insert phone name here)." Chose the restore from backup one. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE RIGHT BACKUP!
8) Sync music, vids, apps, etc.
9) Enjoy 2.2.1, I guess.....

Here is a link to download the firmware for the phone. It is version 2.2.1

Click Here

Good Luck :)
Ok, go easy on me here, I have downloaded the file you have here, it is a zipped file and I have unzipped it into a folder, now I don't know which of the files in the folder I should select once I start the restore ? here are the files and folders listed in folder where I unzipped : File Folder (.fseventsd), firmware with all_flash and dfu in it, and has some img files also along with restore plist, I am lost on this one, I don't want to brick the phone, so any and all help greatly appreciated

thanks
Maachuu

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Ok, go easy on me here, I have downloaded the file you have here, it is a zipped file and I have unzipped it into a folder, now I don't know which of the files in the folder I should select once I start the restore ? here are the files and folders listed in folder where I unzipped : File Folder (.fseventsd), firmware with all_flash and dfu in it, and has some img files also along with restore plist, I am lost on this one, I don't want to brick the phone, so any and all help greatly appreciated

thanks
Maachuu
I don't think you needed to unZip it; just change the extension from .zip to .ipsw.

maachuu

Jul 14, 2009
why would u go back to 2.2.1 is my question?
I am parting ways with the phone and just wanted to put it back the way I got it, the new owner then can upgrade to what ever firmware they want. If I were keeping it, I would stay with 3.0 :eek:k:eek:k

maachuu

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
maachuu, every time I see your name I want to say "God Bless You". :005:snicker

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am parting ways with the phone and just wanted to put it back the way I got it, the new owner then can upgrade to what ever firmware they want. If I were keeping it, I would stay with 3.0 :eek:k:eek:k

maachuu
Yeeeeah, because falling back to the 2.2 will increase its value as it can then be sold as an iPhone with vintage FW ... ;)