New to this DVD converting, question

Mattman

Mar 22, 2008
If you can assist me, I would appreciate it......this is new to me...

1. Do I need a differernt format for "ripping" DVD's (is that what it is called?) to my PC laptop and another format for my iPhone?

2. About how many movies, in general, can I get on a gig of memory?

Thank you.

Matt
Cincinnati, Ohio

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008

1. Do I need a differernt format for "ripping" DVD's (is that what it is called?) to my PC laptop and another format for my iPhone?

Thank you.

Matt
Cincinnati, Ohio
If you go to rapidfind.org and look under iPod movies...you can find some of the latest from 230meg to 500-650meg so it just depends on the size of the movie. iPod movies are the smallest and is what I have on my iPhone. As for 'formating' use Handbrake for PC or DVDFab or Aimersoft DVD to iPhone. To convert most video files to mpeg use Videora iPod Converter. I also use ConvertX to DVD as well.:)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
DVDFab is great on the PC.

I'm a huge fan of Handbrake on the Mac.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

Thank you.

Matt
Cincinnati, Ohio
A1: yes, you have to convert the ripped Video TS file (contains all of the VOBs) to an MP4/M4V format. The output file video bitrate must not exceed 2500 kbps, or an audio bit rate greater than 192 kbps.

A2: good question. The answer is trial and error. For good quality and minimum size, you are probably looking at ~300 - 500 mb per movie. If you plan on displaying the video on a TV screen, this resolution may result in some ugly pixel artifacts.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
I recently tried to convert some DVDs to my iPhone using DVDFab and then Videora, and for whatever reason they don't have any audio. Obviously i made a mistake somewhere.

Also, how do i import the finished product into iTunes for syncing?

(I'm a noob to this whole process so please go easy on me, i've tried the search function to find answers and mostly what i find is people suggesting what programs to download and use, but nothing that answered my more specific questions)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I recently tried to convert some DVDs to my iPhone using DVDFab and then Videora, and for whatever reason they don't have any audio. Obviously i made a mistake somewhere.

Also, how do i import the finished product into iTunes for syncing?

(I'm a noob to this whole process so please go easy on me, i've tried the search function to find answers and mostly what i find is people suggesting what programs to download and use, but nothing that answered my more specific questions)
Make sure you have the latest version of DVD Fab HD Decrypter. From DVD Fab, select the Main Movie tab on the left hand of the screen, select the main movie title (largest file; if both a 4:3 and 16:9 title is offered, choose your preferred resolution). Under audio, pick the audio setting you want with the appropriate langauge ; if you want subtitles, pick the appropriate subtitle langauge. Make sure you de-select the items you don't want.

In Videora, make sure you select the appropriate audio stream - should be the same one you created during the rip.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
Make sure you have the latest version of DVD Fab HD Decrypter. From DVD Fab, select the Main Movie tab on the left hand of the screen, select the main movie title (largest file; if both a 4:3 and 16:9 title is offered, choose your preferred resolution). Under audio, pick the audio setting you want with the appropriate langauge ; if you want subtitles, pick the appropriate subtitle langauge. Make sure you de-select the items you don't want.

In Videora, make sure you select the appropriate audio stream - should be the same one you created during the rip.
Thanks Eragon, i did exactly like you said in your first paragraph, selected only the main movie option, and the audio setting. What happens is that it created a folder on my hard drive w/ the movie title, then inside there it creates 2 sub-folders, one 'video' and one 'audio'. So then when i open Videora to convert, it doesn't allow me to select the separate video and audio files that DVDfab created. That's what happened, i was only able to select the one file, the video file, and thus my converted movie didn't have any audio.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Actually, the video TS folder will contain two subfolders, as you correctly pointed out. Ignore the audio folder.

Here is a link to a popular forum where Videora is commonly used. My study of the Videora guide suggests that the preferred input file for Videora is a VOB which had been typically created by the IFO mode of DVD Decrypter. You do get a set of VOBs when you rip with DVD Fab. However, the individual VOBs need to be merged in the right order before you can use Videora. The following link provides some information on how to get a ripped video TS folder converted to a VOB.

It seems like a lot of unnecessary work if you have a particularly tough movie title. If DVD Decrypter can handle it, you are all set and just follow the Videora guide. If you need something with more muscle, my recommendation is to use DVD Fab and convert using Handbrake.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=158703

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the advice Eragon. Let me ask you a final question or two -

1. If i want to BUY a DVD to iPhone converter program, what do you recommend? A program that will do both, rip and convert the DVD.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks for the advice Eragon. Let me ask you a final question or two -

1. If i want to BUY a DVD to iPhone converter program, what do you recommend? A program that will do both, rip and convert the DVD.
My recommendation, believe it or not, is to stick with DVD Fab HD Decrypter which is updated all of the time, and continue to use Handbrake.

Another choice, which is not exactly cheap (about $80), is the Nero package. Again, I use DVD Fab HD Decrypter to rip the movie to my hard drive. Nero can take that Video TS folder and allow you to EASILY encode the video to your preferred settings. Nero can also allow you to EASILY merge Video TS folders. I've found this feature really nice when you have a two disc movie (like Das Boot) and want to create a single MP4 file.

If your destiny lies with the Mac, I've been extremely pleased with Mac The Ripper and Handbrake. Both packages extremely easy to use.

Mattman

Mar 22, 2008
Pooch

Love the pooch!