New update + jailbreak question.

andyveale

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
I jailbroke my phone for the first time after 2.2.

I want to update to 2.2.1, but I have no idea the steps I must take to do so.
Do I have to restore my iPhone BEFORE I update to 2.2.1? Or can I just install 2.2.1 and it'll be ok?

Any information may be helpful, so thanks...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
connect your iPhone to your comp and restore through iTunes and it will update with the latest 2.2.1 firmware... then re-jailbreak

Word of Warning... if you want to unlock i.e yellowsn0w... you have to take different steps!

hope this helps

(its always better to restore first as it refreshes the phone itself, just take down a lisy of the things you've added through cydia/installer first, just incase you forget something)

J.

andyveale

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Hi iPhonewarrior. What's yellowsn0w for? Does that mean allowing me to use it with other companies besides AT&T? If so, I don't need that... I'm on AT&T and have no intention on switching carriers.

Also, when I restore, what happens? Will I lose EVERYTHING on there (i.e., music, photos, apps, etc?)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Imagine when you first bought the iPhone, thats what it'll be like again (stock)

but usually when the iPhone is restored it will automatically sync with iTunes, putting your tunes back on.

What platform you on, windows or mac?

Your apps. if there legit one's i.e from app store then they will be saved in iTunes anyway and they will sync back on with everything, and your pictures will be the same, they will sync back on also

Yellowsn0w is the unlock for the iPhone 3G, and it works, perfectly. for me i have no interest in it as i'm happy being on o2 (UK iPhone owner). It allows you to put other sim cards in.

But if you do the update to 2.2.1 you baseband is permanently updated and yellowsn0w (currently) doesn't work.

andyveale

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Ok, cool. I'll just make a list of everything I've downloaded from Cydia and re-install it after the Jailbreak. Thanks for your help :) I'll let you know how everything goes.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
no problems

hope all goes well

J.

andyveale

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Took about an hour, but success :). good thing I made a list of all my Cydia apps!