New User - Need Help with quirks...

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Hi there.

New user - BB convert.

I have a few questions that i've not been able to find answers for.

First - Weathernetwork. I downloaded the app for the Weathernetwork. But, the icon does not show current weather and does not change. It's stagnant. If I want the weather, I have to go into the app to see it. On the BB, just had to look at the icon for current temp.

Second - Yahoo Messenger - The messenger doesn't update continuously. If i'm "talking" with someone and leave that screen, I have to actually go back into it to find out if there was a reply. Can this be changed so that I get notifications of messages if i'm not avtively in Yahoo, but logged in?

Third - I signed up for a gmail account (from home computer). However, when I try to sign in to the accout, it says i'm missing an SSL. So, i'm not able to utilize this account. Any recommendations as to what email account (would prefer free...) to use. I'd like instant notification the same as my BB does. Ideas? Recommendations?

Fourth - Calendar application - Is there a way to input my work schedule into the calendar? I work on a 6 week rotation and I really don't feel like inputting each individual appointment. Is it possible? Do I need a better application?

Fifth - Whats the best thing / application / change you have done with your iPhone?

Thanks for you help!

Torinate

iPhone 3Gs

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
A lot of wonderful questions. I look forward to reading this thread as I anticipate getting an iPhone by beginning of December! I'm still in a debate on whether to get the 16gb or 32gb... I don't think I'm going to be loading all of my music on it (I have an iPod for that) so that may factor into the decision.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Hi there.

New user - BB convert.

I have a few questions that i've not been able to find answers for.

First - Weathernetwork. I downloaded the app for the Weathernetwork. But, the icon does not show current weather and does not change. It's stagnant. If I want the weather, I have to go into the app to see it. On the BB, just had to look at the icon for current temp.
As far as I know, unless you're jailbroken you can't get animated app icons.

Second - Yahoo Messenger - The messenger doesn't update continuously. If i'm "talking" with someone and leave that screen, I have to actually go back into it to find out if there was a reply. Can this be changed so that I get notifications of messages if i'm not avtively in Yahoo, but logged in?
The way the iPhone works, 3rd party apps aren't allowed to run the in background (unless you're jailbroken). Apple's remedy for this is push notifications. For now, I don't believe that Yahoo! Messenger supports this. However, there are other IM clients that do (BeeJive if you use more than one IM client)

Third - I signed up for a gmail account (from home computer). However, when I try to sign in to the accout, it says i'm missing an SSL. So, i'm not able to utilize this account. Any recommendations as to what email account (would prefer free...) to use. I'd like instant notification the same as my BB does. Ideas? Recommendations?
Google finally started supporting push gmail with Google Sync. They have a how-to listed somewhere that is pretty self explanatory. Google sync also allows you to sync your contacts and calendar with your phone.

Or, if you don't want to do this, you need to make sure IMAP is enabled on your gmail account, this will allow you to setup your mail account on the iPhone.

Fourth - Calendar application - Is there a way to input my work schedule into the calendar? I work on a 6 week rotation and I really don't feel like inputting each individual appointment. Is it possible? Do I need a better application?
I'm sure there is a way to integrate your work calendar with Google Sync (or Mobile-Me if you want to pay for it), this way it will be pushed to your phone automatically without you doing anything.

Fifth - Whats the best thing / application / change you have done with your iPhone?

Thanks for you help!

Torinate

iPhone 3Gs
There's nothing that really jumps out at me, I just love pretty much everything about the phone.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
The new yahoo messenger goes integrate push messages. Also yahoo will keep u signed on for 2 weeks if that it what you have set.

Go to settings and the notifications and make sure that they are turned on.

I miss weatherbug on BB with current weather on my home screen. Unfortunately that is not available now. Not sure abot jailbroken iPhones though.

Hope this helps.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for the info. Yes, it does help.
I was able to get a push message from Yahoo! Messenger. I'm still working on the GMail thing.

I read a thread with the best looking weather (HTC Weather App)! Now I want to jailbreak mine... it's only a few days old! What to do...

The calendar... this may be the fun part...

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I use exchange and pay 5.99 for it. Cheap for what it provides. It's push and syncs calendar and contacts. My provider also will push you gmail to it so nobody knows the diffference. If you're interested in info on it let me know.

Haven't really changed anything about my iPhone. I got it for the medical apps ans cool guy games and such.

Jim