New Wi-Fi slows down Home Computer?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
I just got wifi for my home computer so I can get FAST speeds on my iPhone. I have a Gateway Tower and the cable speed here was really nice and fast. Well, now that I installed wifi, the wifi is great for the iPhone speed, but my desk computer which it runs through has slowed down a lot!

Any ideas?

Love the iPhone though!

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
Are you using a usb wireless adapter on the gateway or is it built into the box? Either way the technology might be old. For instance you might be running 802.11a or 802.11b or something like that, which pretty much sucks. 802.11g is what I use and get 54mbps--super fast. That might be your problem.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
We do need that detail. Also, any chance you have co-channel interference with a neighbor? You might change channels and see if that helps.
A description of what is cabled to what would be helpful as well.

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Are you using a usb wireless adapter on the gateway or is it built into the box? Either way the technology might be old. For instance you might be running 802.11a or 802.11b or something like that, which pretty much sucks. 802.11g is what I use and get 54mbps--super fast. That might be your problem.
It is not USB. Its got the built in Ethernet plug place in the back. The system is only a year old and runs Vista.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
So your desktop computer is plugged in via Ethernet to the wireless router's Ethernet port? I'd check to see if it's autonegotiating the Ethernet connection properly - reset the router while the PC is connected and on for starters. How was it all connected before and how is it connected now?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
So your desktop computer is plugged in via Ethernet to the wireless router's Ethernet port? I'd check to see if it's autonegotiating the Ethernet connection properly - reset the router while the PC is connected and on for starters. How was it all connected before and how is it connected now?
Yes, it is plugged in via the ethernet to the wireless port. I only got it today! I reset the router and now the internet speed on the computer seems fine. Maybe there was a glitch that had something set wrong. No idea.

Thanks for the "reset" idea....

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
No prob. Remember the first rule of tech support: Reset everything. Yes, everything. :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No prob. Remember the first rule of tech support: Reset everything. Yes, everything. :)
That is a great rule. Only problem with that is when part of the everything is a server or two, and you need to await a 'Maintenance Window' - which tend to be 2:00am-ish or a Sunday afternoon etc ... :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Nah. Flash the BOFH badge and carry on. Been there, done that, told the userbase it was a Windows machine, and that kinda thing happens. :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Nah. Flash the BOFH badge and carry on. Been there, done that, told the userbase it was a Windows machine, and that kinda thing happens. :)
If you can get away with that, that's superb. I've had too many clients in the past, large and small, where they measure downtime in lost revenue and start throwing the figures at you ...:laugh2:

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I did work on Wall Street in the early '90s where when ANYTHING interrupted the trader's day they'd be screaming (and I mean spit-flying, jowls-rumbling, veins-popping screaming) about how you were taking food out of their kids mouths or decimating their college funds. Stock answer? "You saying that you're not good enough to make it back when the system comes up?". Silence.

If I didn't like the person, I'd suggest that they get a job where they are still making money when the system goes down - like IT, for example. Then I'd kinda smile and say, "You know what? As a matter of fact, I'm getting paid right now to tell you that..".

Once they knew they couldn't bully me around, they went and trashed their offices instead like good little twits.

Of course, those were unscheduled outages... But if I really had a good reason to down a server during a trading day, I'd be fine - as long as the reason was GOOD. 'Tis better to suffer 10 minutes now than 10 hours later.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I did work on Wall Street in the early '90s where when ANYTHING interrupted the trader's day they'd be screaming (and I mean spit-flying, jowls-rumbling, veins-popping screaming) about how you were taking food out of their kids mouths or decimating their college funds. Stock answer? "You saying that you're not good enough to make it back when the system comes up?". Silence.

If I didn't like the person, I'd suggest that they get a job where they are still making money when the system goes down - like IT, for example. Then I'd kinda smile and say, "You know what? As a matter of fact, I'm getting paid right now to tell you that..".

Once they knew they couldn't bully me around, they went and trashed their offices instead like good little twits.

Of course, those were unscheduled outages... But if I really had a good reason to down a server during a trading day, I'd be fine - as long as the reason was GOOD. 'Tis better to suffer 10 minutes now than 10 hours later.
Very Nice. :) I worked with a big hotel chain back then. Mostly Novell boxes back then ....

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Gah! I still remember Novell 2.0 with ARCNET. Icky poo!

At that point we were converting them from OS/2 to NT.