New Working GUI Utility to Synchronize over Wi-Fi!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 22, 2007
Update (07/19/2007) wiSync 1.0 Officially Launched:
wiSync 1.0 was launched yesterday, with a full GUI implementation as promised, and a host of enhancements and customizability! Now includes a native iPhone app to manage remote synchronization directly from your iPhone!

Official Launch Site
Public Download Mirror

Update (07/12/2007) Final Beta Released:

Fantastic news! The final beta version of iSync has been released. This release is guaranteed to work on all macs. The method by which the app calls the GUI has had a major overhaul and this means that the app will now "just work" for everyone. No need to set it to run in terminal or anything, and no more problems involving text not appearing in the text fields.

The best news, however, is that this is the final version of iSync that uses a GUI maker, we have a new c++ coder on board, godshadow. The next release will have its own Cocoa GUI, everything will run from within the GUI so no more annoying terminal windows, and you will only have to enter a password once.

More importantly, though, is that we are now in active development of wifi calendar and contacts synchronization, and this makes iTunes synchronization that much closer to mass availability. Additionally, the new app will enable 'true' automatic sync, any time you make a change to the sync dir, your iPod/iPhone will be updated, and vice versa. Also, the new app will have an itunes-like interface for simplicity, and when iTunes support is enabled, you will be able to see your sync dir and your playlists within the app.

And for those of you who are windows users, you can rejoice, because we will finally have windows support in the next 2 weeks. Those of you who use linux, support for your OS will come even sooner than that!

Bear with us though, but the app will be out of beta by then. Obviously because of trademark issues, we need to change the name of the app to something less provocative. We haven't decided what to call it yet, but we'll come up with something

Download iSync Here

Nov 22, 2007
Important Note:

Sorry I didn't post this earlier. You need to enable Remote Login in your Mac Sharing preferences for this to work.

Nov 22, 2007
siantslil23:

The difficulty in creating a tool like this for Windows lies in 3 issues:

1. Windows does not have built-in ssh server technology
2. Windows cannot, without at least some difficulty, run the shell scripts necessary to synchronize (eg rsync)
3. If I were able to get around those 2 issues, I still would not be able to come up with a GUI for it. If anyone is interested in porting my code to a Windows interface they can find the shell source code on my googlecode page:

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-isync/downloads/list

murilo

Dec 3, 2007
Hi Francisois

this app does not work here. can you help me?
I follow all the steps... and... in the final... the conetion closed.
I enabled port 22 in my linksys router, I leave passphrase empyt...

the ip of my mac is 192.168.0.100 and iPhone is 192.168.0.101
I set remote login and remote management ON in my mac sharing preferences...

terminal ask me password of root@192.168.0.101... i fill and ok
terminal ask me password of Murilo@192.168.0.100... i fill and conetion closed / logout / process completed and end.

what can i do wrong?

(my iPhone version is 1.0.2 and I`ve OpenSSH installed and ON)

thanks!

francisois

Nov 22, 2007
looking at your terminal output it seems that the setup worked. SSH from your computer to your iPhone and back is also working so its not an issue with port forwarding.

Open terminal on your mac and type this command in:

ssh root@192.168.0.101

type 'alpine' as the password and then enter this command:

crontab -l

(thats 'l' as in 'L')
PM me the output of that command so I can help you get this thing working

Sorry if its taken me a while to respond, I'm currently in the middle of finals at med school and I can't put a lot of time into development. If there are any bugs or other serious issues its important for me to know and I'm glad that you reported this.

Sep 29, 2007
Still not working for me. I am not able to enter in alpine and when I finally do at random it just done and nothing has happened.

francisois

Nov 22, 2007
oh alright

Terminal will never show the password as you enter it, so just type alpine and hit enter, don't worry that you cant see it, trust me, its reading the input but for security purposes it will never show anything as you type the password

Sep 29, 2007
oh alright

Terminal will never show the password as you enter it, so just type alpine and hit enter, don't worry that you cant see it, trust me, its reading the input but for security purposes it will never show anything as you type the password
Hmm I was typing in Alpine and it never seemed to work. I will try again.

francisois

Nov 22, 2007
please do, and tell me how it goes for you (just make sure you type alpine exactly as it is with no capital letters or spaces of any sort, I know its hard to know what your typing when u cant exactly see it, but this is a UNIX security measure thats been around for decades and theres no way around it lol)

Good luck :)

francisois

Nov 22, 2007
nah thank you, now that uve mentioned this, I'm going to write an extensive user guide so that other users don't get confused by this again :)

francisois

Nov 22, 2007
Nope, its a simple folder to folder synchronization tool, so ull be able to browse the files and open them in safari if your running a webserver on your iPhone, but they wont sync with your iTunes library, not yet anyway (working on it i promise)

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Nope, its a simple folder to folder synchronization tool, so ull be able to browse the files and open them in safari if your running a webserver on your iPhone, but they wont sync with your iTunes library, not yet anyway (working on it i promise)
Thank you for the information.

Personally, I would love to see a tool that would allow me to sync the data that iTunes syncs wirelessly. This is something I would be happy to pay for.

Why Apple didn't give us a way to sync over WiFi out of the box, I will never know.

Rumpelgeist