New York AT&Torney General Eric Schneiderman just made my blood boil

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...essed-by-n-y-over-handheld-device-thefts.html

Can you believe this idiot?

Some thoughts:
  • Is it Apple's responsibility to police NY iphone-related crimes? Since when?
  • It's everyone in New York's responsibility to help bring crime rates down! Report crimes! Start neighborhood watches! Report ALL crimes, even if you're embarrassed about it!
  • What about the NYPD? Maybe they can HIRE MORE COPS to police areas where iPhone thefts seem frequent?! Pay the cops OT if necessary.
  • Maybe, just maybe, they need to have an iPhone Task Force--a select group of cops who specialize in iPhone thefts and recovery of stolen iPhones and are willing to immediately work with iPhone theft victims using Find My iPhone. Maybe they have something like this in place already? If they do, make sure everyone in the city is aware of the program.
  • Thieves found guilty of stealing an iPhone need to serve a PREMIUM SENTENCE. What is the standard sentence for stealing a $649 device? START TRIPLING or even QUADRUPLING THIS SENTENCE IN THE CASE OF iPhones. Watch iPhone thefts drop tremendously.
  • Apple already has Find my iPhone, which can be used to remote-lock an iPhone and TRACE ITS LOCATION. What do the police do when you let them trace the location of a stolen iPhone with Find My iPhone? Do they jump on it immediately? I remember a user on here here a few months ago who lost his iPhone 5 at a gym. He filed a police report. I doubt it was in NYC, but I remember very clearly that he said that the police and AT&T did "almost nothing" to help him out. They had "more serious crimes" to worry about.
  • Apple is already doing EVEN MORE about it: Fingerprint sensor is in the works.
  • So is it Dell's responsibility to work on putting backdoors into their computers to render them inoperable when stolen?
  • What about violent crimes committed while under the influence of alcohol? Should bars sell less alcohol to patrons because a drunken patron is more likely to become violent?
  • What about less-than-intelligent users who leave their phones lying around unattended? How about the city pay for a one-week course at community colleges in NYC to educate careless folks--or anyone who thinks they need a course on being more careful with iPhones--on taking steps to ensure their own devices aren't stolen?
I immediately looked up and followed this Eric Scheniderman on Twitter and Tweeted him some of my thoughts on the matter. I was very blunt about how I felt.

I know there will be many who disagree with me, for whatever reason, but if you happen to agree with me and want to give this idiot some of your thoughts, I'll get you one step closer to doing that: Follow him on Twitter (@AGSchneiderman) and speak your mind to him!

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Good luck bro. In states like NY, especially in cities like NYC, you're going to face certain realities. You can't blame the criminal, don't you know anything? Politics and tech forums don't mix well either. ;)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Good luck bro. In states like NY, especially in cities like NYC, you're going to face certain realities. You can't blame the criminal, don't you know anything? Politics and tech forums don't mix well either. ;)
Oh, sorry! Didn't even realize this is kind of... well, very, related to politics, since this is the Attorney General's comment that triggered my response...

Mods, please feel free to kill my thread.

Very sorry.