New York & Seattle - New Features Tomorrow

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
For those of us in NY and you out there in Seattle, tomorrow we become the first to preview the new Starbucks feature in the WiFi iTunes app. What is it about? Does it have any value? Will you check it out? If so, will you stay long enough to have a coffee?

First one to say that this is just another opportunity to scam us unfortunate iPhone owners out of more and more money becomes an open target for personal ridicule.

rdmb57

Aug 4, 2007
For those of us in NY and you out there in Seattle, tomorrow we become the first to preview the new Starbucks feature in the WiFi iTunes app. What is it about? Does it have any value? Will you check it out? If so, will you stay long enough to have a coffee?

First one to say that this is just another opportunity to scam us unfortunate iPhone owners out of more and more money becomes an open target for personal ridicule.
How do you see the iTunes Music Store as a scam? Obviously there was a researched demand for this type of service before Apple and Starbucks invested in the back end infrastructure to bring this forward. If you don't see a value in the service, don't use it.

With that being said, looking at gross sales, the iTunes music store seems to be meeting some needs out there in the community. If the R&D operation within Apple didn't think it would be profitable for them, I can bet you that the idea wouldn't have made it past the drawing board. Could be that no one will use the service over time, who knows? All we can go on is the best guess of the research teams within Apple - they must think it will make them some $$.

Rick

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Sorry, you must have misunderstood. i'm not of the variety that thinks the WiFi store is a scam...same goes for ringtones through iTunes. i support them both, although not necessarily through purchase.

there are many among us that feel Apple has only provided new features that benefit them financially while overlooking some basic non-revenue based features that could seemingly be added with relative ease. personally, i recognize Apple for what it is - a company that thrives on increased sales. i fail to see the problem with this.

rdmb57

Aug 4, 2007
Sorry, you must have misunderstood
I must have misunderstood - when you referred to it a scam, I read that as a negative.

I agree with you completely though - if this was my product to sell, you can bet that I would be more likely to add features that would improve the bottom line (like the Starbucks deal) than ones that would have an inherent cost with no payback (such as licensing Flash from Adobe for this platform - that would have some hefty $$ attached).

Look at it this way - the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps Apple will use some of the revenue from the wifi music store to cover the development and licensing costs of some new functionality. The platform is still at the infant stage - once it matures I bet we'll see more and more functionality added.

Rick

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
"First one to say that this is just another opportunity to scam us unfortunate iPhone owners out of more and more money becomes an open target for personal ridicule."

Rick, how's about reading the whole sentence instead of just focusing in on one word and leaping to conclusions. I was actually trying to start a positive thread around here.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I've always been a iTunes purchaser.
I have also been a Starbucks-goer for a long time... and I go every morning now that there's a new one on my way to work ;)

The combination of the two isn't going to bring Apple any more money from my pocket since I already buy from iTunes regularly... it's just going to make it easier for me if I hear a cool song at Starbucks to know what the heck it is -- LOL -- but I also feel the same way about the WiFi store in general. I'll probably rarely buy a song that way, but it does make researching new albums and previewing clips fun when I'm away from home (I've used the feature once already to do just that).

As for features that only favor Apple's pocketbook... I think everyone forgets that there are already a ton of features that are "free" with the iPhone... useless to some people maybe, but fun for others. Web, YouTube, Stocks, Weather... these things obviously do nothing for Apple's pocketbook directly. I also believe we'll see new features that are "free" once Leopard comes out... whether they'll be exclusive to Leopard users or not remains to be seen (though I doubt it in the long-term).

That said, I don't think ANY company, Apple or others like it, truly give ANYTHING away from free. They're goal is to make money... and hey, that's capitalism.

:)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
"From Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, baristas in the company's more than 10,000 U.S. stores will hand out about 1.5 million "Song of the Day" cards each day. The cards can be redeemed at Apple Inc.'s online iTunes Store"

I wonder if I should stop by Starbucks in the morning for the free song of the day cards, being that I am in the DFW area.

It's a good sales pitch, since I'll get a cup of coffee while I am there.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
"From Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, baristas in the company's more than 10,000 U.S. stores will hand out about 1.5 million "Song of the Day" cards each day. The cards can be redeemed at Apple Inc.'s online iTunes Store"
Hey! I'll look forward to THAT! :)

el padrino

Sep 28, 2007
The combination of the two isn't going to bring Apple any more money from my pocket since I already buy from iTunes regularly... it's just going to make it easier for me if I hear a cool song at Starbucks to know what the heck it is -- LOL -- but I also feel the same way about the WiFi store in general. I'll probably rarely buy a song that way, but it does make researching new albums and previewing clips fun when I'm away from home (I've used the feature once already to do just that).
:)
You really think so? I don't think it will be long before the majority start making purchases over WiFi after researching "fastly" of course. ;)

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
went this morning and got the free bob dylan track along with a card for two free downloads on iTunes. Not a bad way to start a promotion.
man you guys are so lucky. i would go there so much just to get the free song of the days. but i cant cause i don't live in new york or seattle. when is it that its coming to la area again?

rrippy

Jul 7, 2007
Not The First

Don't mean to steel your thunder, but So. Calif Starbucks have had this feature for awhile. It works great, if you want to purchase iTunes from via Starbucks.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Since I don't drink coffee and since I rarely visit my local Starbucks... I'm not all that excited. It's cool and all, but not something I will ever use.