New #

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
D

dixhills231

Because the iPhone requires a special SIM card, does that mean you must get a new # or can they active a new SIM with your old #?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I guess I'm still confused on how the old sim card gets deactivated?
ONce the new sim card gets activated with your phone number the old sim card will be deactivated. Your iPHone will work just fine with your newly activated SIM card, but your old device will show an "Unregistered SIM" message in the carrier alpha tag where it used to say Cingular or At&t.

It makes perfect sense really. At&t nor any other provider is going to allow two sim cards to work with the same number. That would be like giving service away.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
ONce the new sim card gets activated with your phone number the old sim card will be deactivated. Your iPHone will work just fine with your newly activated SIM card, but your old device will show an "Unregistered SIM" message in the carrier alpha tag where it used to say Cingular or At&t.

It makes perfect sense really. At&t nor any other provider is going to allow two sim cards to work with the same number. That would be like giving service away.
I guess it's just pretty cool how this can all be done through iTunes. I tunes must somehow program the phone number into the new iPhone and sinc it with that new sim, and at the same time tell the old sim that was with that number that it's deactivated.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
It's pretty cool that iTunes will make syncing so easy. Genius idea from Apple to force everyone to have iTunes as well.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, basically, while nothing has changed on the sim itself, the network no-longer recognizes it as valid.
Man, I wonder what a pain in the ass this is going to be for anyone who decides they don't like it and take it back before the 14 days. Then your old SIM has to be re-activated.