newb here

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
i was wondering how do i ssh into my phone i dl the openssh in the source.. now what do i do?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Make sure SSH is started and running (I'd recommend using BossTool to turn it on and off) and make sure you are connected via Wifi to an AP. Then use a tool such as putty (in Windows) or the command line from OSX to ssh in to the IP address of your phone (which can be found under the wifi section in BossTool). The username should be root and the password (on 1.1.4) should be alpine.

On a side note, if you aren't using SSH I'd recommend turning it off. It can be quite the battery drainer.

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
what puty do i dl? there was like 10 diff ones....and i dl bosstool but it didn't haave the option to turn on/off anything

and i was wondering how you get FW2.0?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
what puty do i dl? there was like 10 diff ones....and i dl bosstool but it didn't haave the option to turn on/off anything

and i was wondering how you get FW2.0?
BossTools is (mainly) for freeing up space to install more apps. Termleech probably meant to say BossPrefs, which gives the ability to toggle SSH and other services On and Off.

Putty = if you're running Windows, just look for the Putty.exe (ssh and telnet client) or try WinSCP - it's quite a good one for Windows as well.

Here's some more steps that may help:
  • Make a note of your iPhone’s IP address. To find this, on your iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. On the screen that comes up, note the set of numbers listed in the IP Address field.
  • Turn SSH On, on the iPhone. With BossPrefs and other similar applications, this is just a matter of tapping on the SSH entry to toggle it on and off. Please Note: it is good idea to make sure you toggle SSH back off when you are through using it.
  • Launch your SSH app on your computer. WinSCP will land you on a new ‘Session’ screen straight away. Then you need to fill in a few fields to specify how you want to connect and what device you want to connect to. The fields are named slightly differently depending on which program you use, but they are similar enough that you should be able to fill them in as follows:
    Hostname or Server = enter your iPhone’s IP address in this field
    File Protocol = should be SCP on WinSCP
    Username = enter ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
    Password = enter ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have changed root’s password to, if you have ever changed it.
  • Once you have entered the information as above, hit ‘Login’ on WinSCP or ‘Connect’ on Cyberduck. It may take up to 30 seconds or so to connect.
  • You will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address. You’ll need to say Yes or Allow on these.

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
BossTools is (mainly) for freeing up space to install more apps. Termleech probably meant to say BossPrefs, which gives the ability to toggle SSH and other services On and Off.

Putty = if you're running Windows, just look for the Putty.exe (ssh and telnet client) or try WinSCP - it's quite a good one for Windows as well.

Here's some more steps that may help:
  • Make a note of your iPhone’s IP address. To find this, on your iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. On the screen that comes up, note the set of numbers listed in the IP Address field.
  • Turn SSH On, on the iPhone. With BossPrefs and other similar applications, this is just a matter of tapping on the SSH entry to toggle it on and off. Please Note: it is good idea to make sure you toggle SSH back off when you are through using it.
  • Launch your SSH app on your computer. WinSCP will land you on a new ‘Session’ screen straight away. Then you need to fill in a few fields to specify how you want to connect and what device you want to connect to. The fields are named slightly differently depending on which program you use, but they are similar enough that you should be able to fill them in as follows:
    Hostname or Server = enter your iPhone’s IP address in this field
    File Protocol = should be SCP on WinSCP
    Username = enter ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
    Password = enter ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have changed root’s password to, if you have ever changed it.
  • Once you have entered the information as above, hit ‘Login’ on WinSCP or ‘Connect’ on Cyberduck. It may take up to 30 seconds or so to connect.
  • You will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address. You’ll need to say Yes or Allow on these.
its say network error: connection timed out..
i did everything step by step

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
ok soo it couldnt connect o host because my edge was on

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
The first time you use ssh, it can up to 1 minute to connect.
Keep trying, it will connect......

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
can someone give me the files to change the battery when charging