Newb Question About 3G

Marino

Jun 7, 2008
Macon, GA
Hi, obviously I'm new here, but I just had a question. After 6 months of enjoying an iPod Touch (my first iPod), I want to make the jump to an iPhone. Problem is that where I live isn't in the blue zone of 3G coverage on AT&T's map. So does that mean getting the new iPhone is completely useless? Or would it still work, only not taking advantage of the faster speeds and I could still use it while waiting for ATT to expand their coverage?

Thanks.

tuckerbball

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Hi, obviously I'm new here, but I just had a question. After 6 months of enjoying an iPod Touch (my first iPod), I want to make the jump to an iPhone. Problem is that where I live isn't in the blue zone of 3G coverage on AT&T's map. So does that mean getting the new iPhone is completely useless? Or would it still work, only not taking advantage of the faster speeds and I could still use it while waiting for ATT to expand their coverage?

Thanks.
I am not sure but i think they have been extending there coverage this past yr.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm guessing there will be little new in regards to features in the new phone other than 3G. However, assuming it doesn't cost a bunch more than the first gen, it makes sense to buy it as an investment in the future, because 3G coverage will improve and in the meantime you'll get Edge support.

However, until we know the full feature set of the new phone, it's impossible to gauge whether it has more value to you compared to the original phone.

stevenshizzle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I'm not quite sure that I use 3G often enough for it to warrant me getting the iPhone 2. I'll have to wait and see what additional features are offered that won't be possible on the current iPhone. Two more days and we'll see!

Marino

Jun 7, 2008
Macon, GA
it makes sense to buy it as an investment in the future, because 3G coverage will improve and in the meantime you'll get Edge support.
That was my main concern. Obviously we don't know anything 100%, but what you're saying is that it doesn't ONLY have 3G, edge is still built in?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That was my main concern. Obviously we don't know anything 100%, but what you're saying is that it doesn't ONLY have 3G, edge is still built in?
Yes, edge is still in there.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Yeah, 3G is backward compatible with EDGE. You'll always be able to fall back when 3G isn't available. 3G is pretty important as far as speed and the ability to surf and talk at the same time. If you've ever used an iPhone on EDGE, it's pretty rough especially when pulling up actual websites. The iPhone optimized websites are fine, but they aren't the point of the iPhone.

Joe

Marino

Jun 7, 2008
Macon, GA
Ok, that's cool.

Now this may be another dumb question, and I'm sure I could go look it up, which I'll try anyway, but does the iPhone have the ability to just use WiFi if it's available like I would with my Touch?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think you should still go with the 3G version to stay updated with the newest technology and iPhone features :) As long as the 3G service isn't forced on you to pay an extra fee for usage, I'd go for it. Even if you don't have 3G in your area theirs probably 3G coverage around your job area, or maybe if you happen to go out of town or something.

Where's the closest 3G service near your area?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Ok, that's cool.

Now this may be another dumb question, and I'm sure I could go look it up, which I'll try anyway, but does the iPhone have the ability to just use WiFi if it's available like I would with my Touch?
Yes you can use Wi-Fi with the iPhone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think you should still go with the 3G version to stay updated with the newest technology and iPhone features :) As long as the 3G service isn't forced on you to pay an extra fee for usage, I'd go for it. Even if you don't have 3G in your area theirs probably 3G coverage around your job area, or maybe if you happen to go out of town or something.

Where's the closest 3G service near your area?
+1
New technology > Older tech.

Marino

Jun 7, 2008
Macon, GA
Closest 3G area is Atlanta, which I'm south of. Any time I go out of town though, it's usually to Atlanta.